2004 Volvo penta out drive will not work

JASONH44

Recruit
It worked perfect when it was put up for the winter, but tried to take it out today and the out drive would not work. I listened to the pump, but no sound at all when the switch was moved. All fuses looked good, and the engine would start. Any ideas?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I am assuming you mean the trim pump? You could pull the wires from the trim pump, and jumper them to the battery. Then you would know if you have a bad pump. If the pump is okay, then start checking the switch for power, and both trim relays. Do you have a remote trim switch at the swim deck? check it all and let us know what you find. Dave-R

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya didn't miss hookin' up any wires to the battery, for the trim pump, did ya,..??

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
That happens to my SX once in a while. I've found that the connectors near the pump get corroded and need to be cleaned once in a while. Take the relays out and see if the connectors are clean, and do the same with the connections that go to the pump. Sometimes just removal/reinstall will clean enough of the corrosion to get it going. It would have been a good idea for Volvo to use weatherpack connectors there, but they didn't.