Volvo Penta 4.3L GXI-F seized due to lack of use, need help

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... 1st off, pull the Drive, so ya know whether yer fightin' a seized motor, or drive,...

What was the Problem last fall, 'n what'd ya do to fix it,..??..?

Last edited:

Dayne411

Cadet
The drive spins freely, I put the shifter into both fwd and rev without issue, I additionally spun the propeller nice and freely in both directions after doing so.

The problem last fall was that the engine would only crank but never actually start. It got too cold to diagnose the issue so I drained the block, filled it with antifreeze and let it sit. My lack of fogging oil application caused the cylinders to get some rust build up inside leading the engine to seize come spring.

I went down today and squirted in a bunch of Marvel Mystery Oil. I plan to let it sit for 2-3 days then go attempt to turn the crank pulley by hand back and forth however I'm not entirely sure where its located.

Dayne411

Cadet
Can someone point it out in the picture below?

volvo_2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
The drive spins freely, I put the shifter into both fwd and rev without issue, I additionally spun the propeller nice and freely in both directions after doing so.

Ayuh,..... The upper gear case turns with the crankshaft,.... shiftin' 'n prop shaft, irrelevant,...

The raw water pump will need to be removed to get to the crank shaft pulley,.... bottom center in yer picture,...

I don't think you can tighten that belt enough to use another pulley to turn it,....

Pull the drive, 'n you can go in from behind, with a drive shaft spline,....

Dayne411

Cadet
After I pull off the drive, what type of tool do I buy to go into the engine where the drive shaft was?

On a car I would have a nice big 32mm+ nut to put a breaker bar onto to turn the engine by hand.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Hold on just pull the sea pump and turn the crank the sea pump has the two hoses attached to it at the bottom.

First check you starter ground its on the back of the motor very poor grounding sight.
If all your grounds are good bad starter but proceed as you will...IF the ground's are good you more than probably burnt the starter out trying to start it last fall....The chances of that engine rusting or locking in one season is well small .

Last edited: