Can I change a Volvo Penta aq130 fuel pump to an electric fuel pump.

randyc71

Cadet
I have the aq 130 and I am pretty sure my fuel pump is failing, these are very hard to find and if you do they aren't cheap. Can someone please let me know what issues I will have if I put in an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical pump. I know how to do a lot of automotive work but I haven't ever done a swap like this. I know that it has to have the right fuel pressure so if anyone can tell me what fuel pump would work for this or get me in the right direction. I am trying hard to get this working so I can take my father fishing this summer since it will most likely be his last chance due to alzheimers.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
Why do you think it's failing?
The Volvo FP is a 4-7# pump.
And VERY expensive.
You can replace it with an electric. Also expensive
But you need to install a MARINE pump.
Make sure it's installed correctly. Wired into the ignition.
A regular pump is dangerous in the bilge of a boat.
The Coasties can give you crap too if you get caught with a regular auto pump.
Look around. Sierra might sell a replacement?
181721542017 on e-bay.

randyc71

Cadet
The reason I think it is failing is I had a shop do a bunch of work timing and adjusting the twin carbs because it was running rough. It won't start unless I pour gas down the carbs first and after doing that several times it will finally start up and run good in a barrel of water. I took it to the lake and it revs up at first but then it almost dies so I had to keep backing off the throttle then revving it up again over and over to get back to dock. If it sits for a while then I have to do the whole thing of pouring gas down the carbs to get it to start. To me it makes sense that it is pumping gas but not enough to run it under load.

Bondo

Staff member
The reason I think it is failing is I had a shop do a bunch of work timing and adjusting the twin carbs because it was running rough. It won't start unless I pour gas down the carbs first and after doing that several times it will finally start up and run good in a barrel of water. I took it to the lake and it revs up at first but then it almost dies so I had to keep backing off the throttle then revving it up again over and over to get back to dock. If it sits for a while then I have to do the whole thing of pouring gas down the carbs to get it to start. To me it makes sense that it is pumping gas but not enough to run it under load.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Run it on a remote fuel can plumbed right to the fuel pump, 'n see if it'll run,....

That'll eliminate the tank, 'n system to the pump,....

Try testin' the fuel pump by takin' the line off the carbs, 'n crank it over into a catch can,....

randyc71

Cadet
The pump does pump fuel and I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump since it felt soft so I thought it might have been collapsing. I cleaned the tank out and have blown out all the lines. I can't be 100% sure but I think it is just not pumping enough pressure to run the boat under load.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
If your getting fuel to the carbs. Odds are your fuel pump is ok. There is a small wire screen on the fuel bowl on the carbs. I assume you have the Solexcarbs? There is also a ball check valve on the pick up tube from the tank. If there is something keeping it from seating you could be loosing prime. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump was bad you would know. Despite what you might hear it will leak out of the bottom. If it's not and it is priming up it is probably ok. You can pull it off and check the mechanical arm on it if you want.

randyc71

Cadet
It is loosing prime for sure. There is a lever on the carb that you can use I guess to prime it which I have tried but it doesn't seem to do anything. I can hear it working like a fuel pump is supposed to but it isn't sucking the gas to it until the engine runs long enough to fill the fuel filter which I bought a brand new one also. If this ball check in the pick up tube isn't working right, could it be plugging the line when I give it full throttle under load? If that is causing this then what can I do to fix it?

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
That lever is your priming lever. You can loosing the first fitting to the carbs, and operate the priming lever to see if you are getting fuel. Make sure to put a rag up under it so as not to make a mess. On the bottom of the pump there is a weep hole. So if the diaphragm is leaking you would see it drip there. On the pick up tube there is a small mesh screen. I would pull the pick up tube out and make sure it is clean. You can also make sure your check valve is clean. Soaking the tube in some white vinegar will clean any corrosion off.
YouTube has some good videos on these carbs. There are also some other post on here in iboats on these carbs that you might find some good info. Just do a search on sole 44 carbs. Hope this helps.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
I also have that engine and agree with allbutwet. Those carbs are very sensitive to being clean. If you haven't done a complete rebuild with soaking and cleaning out all passages, you might want t do that. With these older boats, you have to verify every single item to track down a problem. And Bondos' suggestion is spot on., an alternate fuel source will go a long way towards letting you know what works right and what doesn't.

If you're pumping the throttle, and getting gas out of the accelerator jet (candycane), then there is gas in the bowls and you aren't really losing prime. Unfortunately, lack of fuel from the accelerator pump may also mean dirty carb passages, so it's hard to tell if it's the fuel pump or the carb.

A word of caution about the fuel line crush washers at the carbs. Those are single use items and probably won't seal well after tightening and loosening them several times. Trying to keep tightening the banjo bolts can result in damaging the threads on the carbs. You really need to get a supply of those washers if you're going to keep working on the fuel system. I can tell you first hand that messing up those threads is embarrassing and expensive!

randyc71

Cadet
Thank you everyone for the help. I still haven't got it fixed yet because the oil cooler decided to leak so I need to fix that before anything else. I have a feeling it is something in the fuel pick up line since if it sits for a while all the fuel drains out of the system and it won't start unless you pour gas straight down the carbs a few times. The fuel filter drains and when it does that no gas comes out of the accelerator jets until I pour gas down the carbs a few times. It does seem like the pump is good but it just can't pump enough fuel when just turning the engine over with the starter. Once the fuel filter gets filled with gas then it will start without needing to pour gas in the carbs. I don't have a lake very close to me so I need to try and do as much as I can before I get it in the water.. Thank you again for all the help and once I get it figured out I will let you know.

randyc71

Cadet
I tried using the lever on the fuel pump and I can't get it to pump any fuel from either the tank or from a gas can with the fuel hose straight into it. The fuel lines are new also so it's not those. I went and pulled the pickup tube and the check valve seems to work freely but if I suck on it from the outlet side I cant get any air through it unless I push on the opposite side which has a spring so is that bad then? It is clean but I think the spring is messed up and catching possibly.