Oil filter thread failure

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I changed oil tonight on y 1999 5.0GL (had about 35hrs on it) and when I unscrewed the bosch 3510 filter i dropped it in the bildge. I stuck finger in the hole to grab it and jabbed myself with a needle sliver of damaged thread. Filter was installed by hand and came off normally. I checked the thread pipe on the block and it was smooth and seemed perfect but the thread on the filter looks like crap., mAnyone ever hear of a oil filter thread failing? It's a bummer the flow is out thru the big center , hopefully nothing entered the motor. I ran the boat last weekend and once when I fired it up to leave restaurant it was idling slowly and oil pressure was lower then normal (about 10psi) but I chalked it up to a slow loopy idle but now the filter filter has me worried. Tomorrow night I will cut the filter open and may send a oil sample to blackstone since I haven't emptied the vac container yet.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
You may have a metric / imperial thread pitch issue. A filter cross reference possibly gave you a close match and not an exact match for your engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You may have a metric / imperial thread pitch issue. A filter cross reference possibly gave you a close match and not an exact match for your engine.

That is the correct filter.

Idlespeedonly

I have seen burrs on filters like this before.
I always look at my filters really well before I give them a spin.

mikeneal

I cut filter apart tonight and the pleats were free from debris, but the flow direction would have put the pieces into oil pump . I also left the voicemail for technical support at Bosch and haven't heard back yet.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I just saw this with a Sierra fuel filter which is similar to an oil filter. I've used them for years and never had a problem. The threads were not cut right and it would not thread on.

mikeneal

I called and discussed it with bosch technical support. They claimed to never heard of it before. I also received my blackstone oil analysis back and the oil had no copper , iron or anything to point towards a failure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Oil filters are assembled by robots on high speed lines. Could be a machining issue, a material issue, or other.