I need a product list for my transom repair

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, I'm starting the transom repair on my i/o Rinker that had rotten wood. Got the wood out, got a new piece of marine plywood cut and almost ready.
I need a run down on what supplies I should order. Called a few places but no real good info....tech support people were supposed to call me back and never did from a couple of these places.

Anyways, I need:
-products needed to glue two pieces of plywood together and glue it to the hull.
-products needed to make the "peanut butter" mixture for filling
-resins/epoxys needed for wetting the glass
-I think I'm to use 1708 for the tabbing and covering of the wood
-maybe a stranded material for the final cover?

How much product will I need? Area is 38" x 24".
Where is a good place to order from?

Thanks in advanced..

Kevin

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone, I'm starting the transom repair on my i/o Rinker that had rotten wood. Got the wood out, got a new piece of marine plywood cut and almost ready.
I need a run down on what supplies I should order. Called a few places but no real good info....tech support people were supposed to call me back and never did from a couple of these places.

Anyways, I need:
-products needed to glue two pieces of plywood together and glue it to the hull.
-products needed to make the "peanut butter" mixture for filling
-resins/epoxys needed for wetting the glass
-I think I'm to use 1708 for the tabbing and covering of the wood
-maybe a stranded material for the final cover?

How much product will I need? Area is 38" x 24".
Where is a good place to order from?

Thanks in advanced..

Kevin

I have worked with this supplier for several years and his material is tops: http://www.ebay.com/usr/polymerproducts?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754
No real need to use high dollar marine plywood but do as your budget allows. Run of the mill plywood will work just fine. I have used both polyester and epoxy resins and epoxy is much stronger and has much less smell but more money. You can make peanut butter using resin and sawdust - micro ballons - and several other fillers. Saw dust is easy to aquire and cheap. I have used several different procedures to glue the two pieces together and screws usually works best for the transom. They don't need to be real tight and you can remove them after pieces are glued together. Small gaps will fill with resin. For extra adhesion I use a piece of glass cloth between the two pieces with resin. I have found satin weave glass cloth easy to work with. 20oz. satin works well tabbing in the transom and conforms to shapes very well.

Be sure to allow $$ for expendables such as rubber gloves, small measuring cups, rags, stir sticks from HomeDepot/Lowes (free) and acetone for clean up.

FYI: Don't clamp the new transom too tight to the stern during gluing. You need room for the peanut butter to spread evenly. PM me if you have more question about the process.