270 outdrive - how the heck do I remove this helmet pin off? It seems seized..

mramend

Cadet
Hi there- I have a 85 Bayliner with AQ125A, 270 and after doing some repairs on the engine (installed) I'm now following the remaining issues..I'd like to get at the water intake hose fitting and replace it, since it is sucking air (confirmed).

I started the process of removing the top assembly of the outdrive, etc. After removing the two 8mm allen bolts holding the helmet pin on, I have struggled to figure out how to remove the pin. I have the Clymer manual, the 270 manual, 125a, etc. and it says there are two 'rods' to help remove it. Took a couple of smaller allen wrenches to those side holes and tried wiggling, penetrating oil, banging a bit to loosen, etc. Should this pin easily lift out? I can't see how I can take the top part of the drive off without removing this beast. I've attached a pic showing exactly where I'm at (I like pics).

Many thanks for ideas if anyone's got 'em. I am stumped.

[I almost had to post 'how do I take out a siezed drain plug on my outdrive' but several bangs with a hammer and punch on the bolt knocked it loose...so I'm not afraid to bang things!!]

Cheers, IMG_20150419_164355.jpg
Mark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need 2 1/4-20 bolts.
In the small holes next to the big holes.
There are threads in there.
Clean them out and then just screw the bolts in.
Should pop right out.

mramend

Cadet
a ha! Thanks Jerry..I think I have to clean those out but that gives me hope. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

mramend

Cadet
I found this thread and pic (http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...o-penta-250a-and-280-outdrive?_=1429593735611), and had to go try with a flashlight..

I had some M6 bolts laying around from the engine work. Didn't seem to move the pin and I ended up stripping the lower four threads on both bolts quite a bit and they were probably a bit too short in length. It could be the guy who owned it before me used 1/4 in bolts with their slightly different thread, maybe it was tapped..?. Maybe? Is that common for these drives to use a 1/4-20 instead of M6?

I will try tomorrow hopefully with some new bolts but will wait to hear if anyone has input on M6 vs. 1/4-20. Thanks again...!!

helmetpin_zps1c0f3619.jpg

mramend

Cadet
Man .. well, it worked! I grabbed a couple of new 1/4-20 SS from work and just kept on going.. Thanks guys. Here is the outcome pic (attached) IMG_20150421_171350.jpg I'm curious - is there any reason Volvo mixed SAE and Metric or is that thread just more aggressive? Or, are all many SAE and I'm just discovering ..?

Reason I'm asking is I also noticed that the allen bolts that held the water intake connector took a 3/16" tool instead of 5mm metric.

-Mark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Guessing? They knew that most of the drives might end up in the US???
Not all parts on the drive are SAE. The oil fill under the back cover I think is metric.

mramend

Cadet
I got so used to metric working on the aq125 it just threw me. Well, thanks for all your help on the bolts, Jerry. I wish I could delete that figure up above that I grabbed from that other post! Wrong info doesn't help anyone. But reading this just might.. :)

Cheers,
Mark