Oil in Exhaust

jkwhite

Cadet
I am new to this 1993 Volvo Penta 413 B engine. Boat was winterized by a yard and I bought it during winter. I changed the oils (Drive oil was clear...no water) Changed plugs and she started right up, but when I ran her in a tub and she left a black oily ring in the tub and on the drive. Is this usual or does it signify a larger problem ?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oil residue left on outdrive from winterization or draining gear fluid? Residue left over from fogging the engine at the end of last season and that fogging oil is working its way through the system and out the exhaust? A leak from a bad oring around one of the drive drain screws?
Did you call the yard you bought it from?

jkwhite

Cadet
No Title

Would this be indicative of fogging oil working out of system.? I never have had experience with it so do not know. Yard is in VT. I am in ME and the sale was private sale. Just had a yard tag on it that it had been winterized.

Attachments

• photo218859.jpg
    photo218859.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Yes, that would be indicative of foggin' oil,...

jkwhite

Cadet
Thanks so much for the response.. A big relief.. Pictured doing an overhaul or something. Paint the corroded areas on the drive, finish redoing a cushion, and we are good to go...provided it doesn't snow again here in Maine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Two things...

1) Sure that ring wasn't just soot from a cold and rich running engine?
2) Never run in a tub. Too hard for the water pump to prime and suck the water into the engine. If you do this often, I would be changing the impeller.

jkwhite

Cadet
Never run in a tub. Too hard for the water pump to prime and suck the water into the engine. If you do this often, I would be changing the impeller.

I am Confused... I do not understand the difference between running in a tub or putting the boat in the water and starting? Do you mean that I should use cuffs for initial start up in the spring? And would this be the case if the system was winterized with antifreeze rather than drained?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When you run in the water, the water level is way higher. In fact it is basically at the level of the raw water pump already.

Always you muffs when you run the boat out of the water. Doesn't matter if there is antifreeze in the engine or drained.

Bondo

Staff member
When you run in the water, the water level is way higher. In fact it is basically at the level of the raw water pump already.

Always you muffs when you run the boat out of the water. Doesn't matter if there is antifreeze in the engine or drained.

Ayuh,... 'n impeller pumps are flooded entry pumps,...

They don't suck well, but push great,....