volo outdrive oil leak?

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
I winterized back in october....boat had not been in water since August. Found oil as seen in pic below. No obvious signs of leak....did not appear to leak while running engine during winerization. Never noticed when boat was last in water. Bad seal? Is this super bad? Or an easy fix? Could it be nothing? Any help out be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Attachments

• photo218803.jpg
    photo218803.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
In the picture, it's not clear to me exactly where the leak is. If it is the shift shaft seal, it is an easy fix. My son had the same thing happen at Lake Powell. We took off the four bolts holding the shaft housing and took it to a Marina. They pressed in a new seal in for about 30.00$. Dave-R

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can you see any signs from where it might have been dripping down? Look from bottom to top and test areas with a tissue to see where it might have leaked down from.
That oil is awfully dark too....what type of oil did you fill the drive up with and does it look like that oil?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The shift arm(eccentric piston) seal is an easy fix if you have a way to press in the seal.
Replace the o-ring too.
About $25

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
well after finally getting boat out of storage today....I checked the gear oil and noticed it was way overfilled and really stunk! It has a slight greenish color to it. It does not appear to have water in it though...not milky. and the shifter area looks to be the culprit of the leak if there is one. The oil has not been changed since i bought it in March of 2013 (not alot of hours since then). God only knows what the hell the marina put in it. They are out of business now. I opened the overflow and dumped the oil until it correct on the dipstick. I am going to change it this week using the lucas sythetic gear oil. Volvo oil is impossible to find in our area....and its a fortune on the web. Any other thoughts guys?

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It actually looks like the Merc High Performance gear lube, I use it in my Cobra but I'm not sure if it's the right choice for a Volvo with the cone clutch. Then again the Bravo drive with the cone clutch does take this oil...

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
Lou...you are prob right (man does the stuff STINK)....seeing as this marina was loosing there *** at the time...they probably put whatever they had laying around in it. And over filled it....because they probably were not familiar with volvos. Regardless the Lucas gear oil should be a much better product...and it was a steal on Advanced Auto parts web site (10 bucks off the purchase).