SBC (''99 5.0GL) circulation pump failure at hub

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1999 volvo penta 5.0GL. Yesterday running at speed I heard a rattle (music was loud so took a minute to pick it up) Throttled down and rattle was coming from circulation pump and engine quickly got hot. My theory is at speed the raw water forced it thru like a cross over. Anyhow, took it part and the impeller failed at the hub/ shaft. Pump is about 10 years old and has about 1000hrs on it but what a strange failure . Anyone ever hear of this? I at first thought a piece of FE got loose but I see no marring on the bronze impeller and seems like that would leave a mark. I think it was aftermarket seira or something but can't be sure since it was a decade ago. Maybe go oem volvo penta this time?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I agree that the Usual failure is the bearin's, but the shaft breakin' ain't unheard of either,......

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Bondo, got new pump installed and ran boat last weekend and ran perfectly. Weirdest pump failure I have ever heard of.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My 5.0 Gi arrived new with leaking pump, I didn't notice it until the engine bay was sprayed with salt water, just what is needed on a new boat!
Volvo agent here in Spain said he was too busy and I would have to wait 3 weeks before he could replace it. I asked if he would supply the pump for me to fit, which he did but I had to pay full price for it until Volvo had inspected the original leaking one. I got a full refund 2 months later.