Volvo SX-M Upper Unit Strainer

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am putting a Volvo SX-M outdrive back together after painting and as I was ordering O-rings and going through the manual I came across something that I need some advice on. The parts breakdown on the "Volvopentastore" site for the upper unit shows a strainer, PN 3854021, but says the part is obsolete. When I search for the part online almost no one carries it anymore. I notice my upper unit ( I purchased it used) does not have any type of strainer installed. I assume its to filter the gear oil. So my question is has something changed and it is no longer recommended for use or is it just hard to find the part. Appreciate any insight you can provide.

AD

Last edited:

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Any body have any info or a good lead on a Volvo Outdrive expert? Part number 9 in the picture is what I am questioning, thanks

Attachments

• photo218903.jpg
    photo218903.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
The original part number that this is no longer available was 0986814 (SCREEN Oil sump) then 3854021 and as you know is obsolete too.:(

Using the two numbers you're going to have call around and see if you get lucky. Also search online marine salvage yards. Here's one to try as a starting point. http://www.mmmarinesalvage.com/engines.htm

Hope you find something, good luck.:)

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks FT, I'll try and hunt one down. Makes me wonder what its purpose is since it's so hard to find one. Better to be safe and get one installed, thanks again

AD

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I was told.It's supposed to keep the nasty's out of the upper drive if the lower goes bad.
Sent U a PM