Oil cap pops off on 5.7l penta Volvo gsi

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So the impeller looks good, must've been replaced when I got it winterized, and where would the starter solenoid be, sorry I'm learning as I go, I'm a plane mechanic no car or boat mechanic, and why not pull the cool wire? I heard I should do that to turn off ignition do I don't blow myself up

alldodge

Staff member
So the impeller looks good, must've been replaced when I got it winterized, and where would the starter solenoid be, sorry I'm learning as I go, I'm a plane mechanic no car or boat mechanic, and why not pull the cool wire? I heard I should do that to turn off ignition do I don't blow myself up

How does the pump housing look, see any groves?

Starter solenoid is on top the starter that the battery cable connects to.

It's OK to pull the coil wire, I think Jerry was saying don't use a jumper wire from the coil wire to ground. To make it easy to crank you can install a remote start switch at the starter. I like to just disconnect 12V from the coil (pulling connector or removing the wires on the + side)

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you mean the housing that the impeller sits in it looked smooth to me but I'm no expert by no means. Ok so where would I hook my positive and negative clamps at on my jump box

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well did compression test.... All spark plug holes read between 120-125... All but one... The second hole on the right reads about 90 95

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last status incorrect here it goes on the right hand side #1 125 psi, #2 90-95 psi,#3 120psi, #4 125 psi
Left hand side, #1 149 psi, #2 115 psi, #3 119 psi, #4 150 psi

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see a head gasket issue but I do see some worn rings/valves. With the amount of blow-by your seeing in my opinion your looking at an overhaul.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Did you pull all the plugs at once to do the test? If you did, then like ALLDODGE said a rebuild might be in the works.
Since it's gonna need work.
It's 14 and maybe the manifolds/risers took a dump?
Pull them and then the heads and see if the gaskets bad?(not usually bad on both sides)
Test the overheat alarm. It might have gotten hot?
When I said pull the coil lead it was so you could use the key and the plug wires wouldn't arc and possibly shock you.
The coil lead still sparks and can be dangerous if there is any fuel or propellants in the bilge.

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah I figured I was looking at an overhaul, and yes all spark plugs were out. And the heat alarm never went off, the tadial gauge never seen above 170, I just assumed it overheats because of it blowing the oil cap off and being able to melt the plastic cap and causing smoke

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since it's gonna need a rebuild I'm guessing it's the top portion, and Im gonna end up doing it myself with my buddy that's done one before. How much do you think it'll cost me rough ball park,

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Well I hope it's not a cracked piston cause then I better sell the boat while it runs.... But I mean it runs fine and doesn't smell hot, neither does it get to hot, when I was at full power for like 14 mins before this event started happening the highest temp was like 150, it gets up and goes and starts with no problems... And if it's blow-by or w/e how would I go about fixing that,

If you sell it as it is, you should disclose any and all issues with it. Otherwise, that's a crappy thing to do to someone else.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The repairs: If it's got blowby? Then the rings could be bad too.
You might get lucky and get by with new heads and manifolds(you check them?)
Maybe $1500 with manifolds and risers.

I just replaced a head on a 6.5L Chevy Diesel.
I bough a head from a reputable company on e-bay.
It came in with hammer marks all over the valve heads.
There must have been 2-300 marks on the valves.
So be very careful when you order.
They returned my $ but set me back 2 weeks..

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't really understand how this is happening, as my oil filler cap is a screw thread with an "O" ring seal and there is no way it would melt or self un-screw. To melt it, it would also melt the paint on the rocker covers. The yellow cap is one of those temporary things you buy when you have lost the original and is just a push fit.

Yes you might have a bit of pressure building up in the crank case which is not helped by the sludge, Have you noticed a build up of the running temperature, you don't mention that you have. Buy the real cap for the engine from Volvo Penta before you start pulling anything apart. (Part No. 3854008 )

Last edited:

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought the real cap and it looks exactly the same as the one I got from Oreilly's, I haven't checked the manifolds, I did however check my thermostat and its housing is coroded so bad it's awful, I had already bought a new thermostat and decided to test them in the water pot, and sure enough the new one opened wide and the old the one didn't open till about a few mins later and even then it wasn't opened as much as the new one was.... And the old one is coroded as hell to.... I also have a new PCv valve coming in next Wednesday, since apparently ever since this whole thing started I never had a PCv valve it was just a plastic elbo joint.... Ima replace both of these and Clean out the housing of all that nasty crap and try to clean up the inside of where it sits cause there corrosion and lain chips sitting in the water, not to mention the tubes on the inside are somewhat Orange coated ....... After I do all this Ima take it on the lake and see if the same thing happens again in 20 minutes, if it does then it's time to take the engine out of the boat

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As I was cleaning out the t stat housin I saw that one hole was clogged and blocked by a big impeller fin..... I'm guessing the old one was destroyed and the place that winterized my boat and changed it out didn't tell me the old one was shredded

alldodge

Staff member
Small items can cause big issues. Glad you found the impeller piece

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK so i ended up buying a pcv valve from oreillys and it looks just like the one on the right side.... i started the engine up and it sounds alot better at idle...... HOWEVER NOW MY ENGINE actually is overheating..... its beeping and getting temps high after running for a bit..... so since i took off my impellar housing and looked at the impellar before i figured i must of done something..... welll so i decided to take off my top hose that goes to the engine to see if any water is being circulated... and low and behold nothing circulates.... soo i took off the housing to see if the small sprocket that spins the impellar is moving... and yes it does move...... i need help what is wrong D:!

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Where are you located?. Some one close might be willing to come over and help ya out for a beer or two!