TIPS/HINTS - Remove Stern Drive for Inspection - DPS-A

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Besides the guidelines in the manual, are there any other tips/hints that we should know about?
  1. Trim full down position, drain drive oil, and remove propellers - makes the drive lighter, easier to remove.
  2. Mark shift cable adjuster (cube) with pen before removing (manual shows a jam nut, not on my cable)…two turns off destroys the gears.
  3. If the drive is stuck, insert just the tip of a screwdriver, and pray open – don’t hammer the screwdriver into the drive.
  4. Clean off drive surface with soft brush, don’t damage the mating area (no scrapers or blades) – check for water leaks, indicated by rust/oxidation on drive and gear.
  5. Rotate gimbal bearing and check for smooth operation.
  6. Hammer the drive alignment tool with a rubber mallet on all sides to align the gimbal bearing. If the alignment tool comes out with equally spaced. smooth grease lines, it’s good.
  7. Grease the spines on the drive before inserting, do not grease the o-rings (gear oil is ok).
  8. Use 2-4-C to keep the gasket in-place when replacing the drive.
  9. Rotate the propeller shaft so that the splines align with the coupler.
  10. Make sure the drive is all the way down before refilling, otherwise it will not have enough oil.
  11. Do not run the engine without oil in the drive!!!
Parts:
  1. Grease
  2. Gasket
  3. O-rings for the drive spline shaft (x2)
  4. O-rings for the oil drain/dipstick (x3)
  5. Synthetic Volvo Penta Gear Oil SAE 75W-90 (x3)
  6. Alignment Tool
IMG_3833_zps1ti9bvah.jpg

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You see those rust spots where the mounting studs go into the transom mount, those areas should be greased with a good marine grease like OMC/BRP triple guard (Evindrude blue grease), because like on the older SC series you can get aluminum corrosion between the drive and transom mount and have one bad time getting it off. That is as important as greasing the driveshaft splines even if Volvo does not tell you to do that...

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You got me...good April Fools joke.

I would never try to pry the outdrive off with a screwdriver - you will only crack or gouge the outdrive. Any "slot" you see which you think may be for a screwdriver to fit in is for water to drain- not a pry point. If you do annual service every year and lube the mounting studs with grease the outdrive will come off easily year after year.

I would also not bang on the alignment tool with a mallet. My understanding is you are not aligning the gimbal - that component is what it is. You are aligning the drive coupler, engine and outdrive. If the alignment tool won't slide in and out smoothly your engine mounts need to be adjusted.

Be sure to inspect your drive fluid for signs of water intrusion or excessive metal flaking

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
I would never try to pry the outdrive off with a screwdriver - you will only crack or gouge the outdrive. Any "slot" you see which you think may be for a screwdriver to fit in is for water to drain- not a pry point. If you do annual service every year and lube the mounting studs with grease the outdrive will come off easily year after year.
Correct!!! Prying isn't really a good idea as damage can occur. One idea would be to put a small piece of 2x4 wood on top of the drive and bell housing area then lift the drive up by hand so the 2x4 touches the transom assembly and normally the drive will start to pull off should it not be to stuck on.

I would also not bang on the alignment tool with a mallet. My understanding is you are not aligning the gimbal - that component is what it is. You are aligning the drive coupler, engine and outdrive. If the alignment tool won't slide in and out smoothly your engine mounts need to be adjusted.
Sometimes the gimbal bearing will turn out of place slightly and to set it back into place/alignment with the engine coupler you may have to tap on the tool with a hammer to make it easier on you. Forum member aChris kind of talks about aligning the bearing at the 1:15 minuet mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w118LGsYgY4&feature=youtu.be