2006 Volvo Penta 5.7GI-F - How to crank manually?

mtymax

Cadet
Engine wont turn over. New battery, electronics work, blowers work, then I try to turn over and CLICK, everything goes off and nothing will work until i disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and hook everything back up. Someone told me that it might be the starter engaging with a seized engine. Can someone give me a "how to" for turning over the engine manually? do i need a special tool? looks like a hexagonal shape in the middle of the pulley. do i need to remove spark plugs or anything else? i am just scared that its seized and would like to rule that out first before i go troubleshooting electrical issues... Any help would be greatly appreciated! haven't used the boat for 2 full seasons now so this is the first time trying in almost 3 years. Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Engine wont turn over. New battery, electronics work, blowers work, then I try to turn over and CLICK, everything goes off and nothing will work until i disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and hook everything back up. Someone told me that it might be the starter engaging with a seized engine. Can someone give me a "how to" for turning over the engine manually? do i need a special tool? looks like a hexagonal shape in the middle of the pulley. do i need to remove spark plugs or anything else? i am just scared that its seized and would like to rule that out first before i go troubleshooting electrical issues... Any help would be greatly appreciated! haven't used the boat for 2 full seasons now so this is the first time trying in almost 3 years. Thank you!

Ayuh,.... Yer symptoms sound like a Bad connection, or Bad battery cable, possibly the ground,.....

Even brand new batteries should have the terminals cleaned shiny metal clean, as well as the connectors to the battery,....
Also, remove, clean to shiny metal, the Other end of the battery cables, both positive at the starter, 'n the ground at the block,....
Then grease 'em to keep 'em clean,...

That said,....
To see if the motor is seized,... Pull the Drive,... Pull All the spark plugs,.....
Then put a socket on the crankshaft bolt, 'n try turnin' it,...
If it don't turn, Don't strip out that bolt,.... 'bout 60 or so ft. lbs. is all ya wanta put into that bolt,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You may have a tough time turning by hand with the raw water pump on the crankshaft. May have to take that off first.

Pull the plugs and see if you can rotate it with the drive belts.

mtymax

Cadet
so i have to pull the drive to see if i can get the motor to move a little? i was hoping to just pull the plugs and try to move it just enough to tell me that it can move freely... is that not a possibility?

Bondo

Staff member
so i have to pull the drive to see if i can get the motor to move a little? i was hoping to just pull the plugs and try to move it just enough to tell me that it can move freely... is that not a possibility?

Ayuh,... The drive turns with the crankshaft,.... It's directly coupled,....

How sure are you that the motor is seized, 'n not the drive is seized,..??

mtymax

Cadet
i understand that they all turn together, but i was hoping to just be able to even wiggle the crankshaft back and forth a little... i am not over confident that its seized but at the beginning of the last season i used it, i had a casting plug blow out over the winter... replaced it, boat ran perfect all season... but i am a bit afraid that more damage might have ocurred when that plug popped.... i guess i should probably start with connections at the battery and start and grounds?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
i guess i should probably start with connections at the battery and start and grounds?
Do that and then when you try to crank, have someone hold a multimeter on the battery posts(the posts themselves) and see what the voltage drops to. If the voltage drops very little, you have a connection problem still. If it drops a lot, you ave either a bad battery, bad starter or seized engine.

Has your starter ever been submerged, even for a very short time?

mtymax

Cadet
Do that and then when you try to crank, have someone hold a multimeter on the battery posts(the posts themselves) and see what the voltage drops to. If the voltage drops very little, you have a connection problem still. If it drops a lot, you ave either a bad battery, bad starter or seized engine.

Has your starter ever been submerged, even for a very short time?

I have tested the voltage before... the battery tests perfect when i first hook everything up. the second I crank the engine the voltage drops to around 2 or 3 volts... that is why i am afraid the motor is seized... someone told me the voltage drop is the starter trying to turn over a seized engine. nothing has ever been submerged at all. this is why i was hoping to just see if the crankshaft will move a little bit manually... (praying that its not seized) thanks for the help!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you load tested the battery before? How old is it? A battery that is on it's way out will exhibit the exact behavior.

Out of curiosity, why would you think your engine could be seized? You overheat it or run it without oil? Did water enter the engine? Engines just don't seize unless something extreme happened.

Last edited:

mtymax

Cadet
UPDATE - So I disconnected the battery and sanded all of the connections until they were 100% clean. the engine turned right over and started! seems like it was an electrical problem after all. i am going to disconnect all of them and clean everything up. However, when it started, it ran ok but it doesnt sound great. sounds like a metal on metal sound, its low on oil so i only ran it for about a minute and shut it down. i plan on cleaning all the connections, replacing all fluids and then go from there... One last question for you guys... today was the first time the boat has run in 2 1/2 years. should i tow it somewhere and have the gas tank pumped and cleaned??? there is not a lot of fuel in the tank and it had plenty of stabilizer but just wanted someones professional opinion... thinking maybe if i fill the tank full (75 gallons) that might dilute any bad gas enough to cause any harm. thanks for all your help guys!

Fun Times

Staff member
It's always a better idea to try and remove any old fuel when/where possible and run fresh fuel in a boat since a boat engine runs a lot harder vs a car. If possible try removing/pumping some fuel into portable fuel tank for either your car or lawn mower etc. it'll make you fell more comfortable knowing you have as much fresh fuel in there to start and it'll give you a chance to get to know the condition of your fuel tank/system.

Hopefully once you get all your oils checked and changed it will help with the noise...If not maybe post a video of the sound so maybe someone will recognize the sound.

Btw, Yes I removed the two posts that wasn't really heading in the right direction....It may have been a drunk post or something as it's normally more professional than that.:ranger:

Good luck.:)

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Fun times is spot on. I had a similar situation with the fuel being old. I bought a 7.00 $ pump at Wall mart, and pumped in 5 gallon jugs. These I used every time I filled my truck or car with no problems. I would also clean the anti-syphon valve . It's the barb fitting your fuel tank has that feeds the fuel pumps. Dave-R

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... While I ain't opposed to pumpin' out the fuel, 'n it's always a Great idea to check the tank, 'n it's plumbin',...
I'm at this enough to trust my Nose,.....

Gasoline smells like Gasoline,....
Pull the fuel filter off, 'n dump it's contents, I use a baggie, but a bowl or clear jug will work, 'n look for Water, 'n Crud,....
Then Smell it,...
If it Smells like gasoline, I'd top it off, 'n Run it,....

Whatever ya decide on pumpin', or not, put on a new filter, 'n bring along a spare, as the 1st might crud up quickly,....

Runnin' an I/O off a remote spare tank is also a way to feed yer motor good clean gas, for testin' purposes anyways,...