Vovlvo penta 1995 DP-C1 3102161726 gear oil

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI all I was wondering if 80w - 90 gear lube would work ok with this unit. Pennzoil. Most of what I see 75w 90, but doesn't seem like a big difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I like to stick to the marine oil, it is formulated to still lubricate with up to 10% water.
Also a lot of the auto gear oil has a friction modifier for use with a posi traction type rearend, you don't want that for your outdrive.
I use Volvo $ynthetic or Amsoil marine gear oil.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No this is marine grade gear oil. Just wanted to make sure the weight 80w was alright.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't think so: 80w-90 API GL-5 Performance.

Pennzoil Marine High Viscosity lower unit gear lube is formulated for the high performance requirements of most stern drives and outboard gear boxes. It is formulated with Antiwear additives and corrosion inhibitors to protect gear and bearing surfaces. Meets requirements of API service GL-5

Also keep in mind I maybe reselling this boat. Obviously I don't want to put something that will harm it, but would like to stay on the cheaper side.

Last edited:

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also another question on the lower unit. Do I need to grease the shaft spines on the lower unit? I noticed the gear lube seem to go up to the shaft spines and I didn't want those mixing so I didn't grease it.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know the prop spines need greased, but I'm talking about the spines on the shaft when you pull the lower unit out. It seems the gear oil gets up to those so I wasn't wanting to mix gear oil and grease.

As far as the oil do you think I can get away with that? I know it's not recommended, but typically many other brands of oils are not, but still work fine.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would only use either SA Mobilube 1SHC Synthetic or SAE 75w-90 Synthetic gear oil, however not a LS (limited slip) version. Volvo Penta's fully synthetic gear lube or west marine's fully synthetic gear lube is what I use.

As for lubing the splines - yes - but stop with the grease before you get to the O-rings. Use motor oil on the O-rings.........

Fun Times

Staff member
Don't think so: 80w-90 API GL-5 Performance.

Pennzoil Marine High Viscosity lower unit gear lube is formulated for the high performance requirements of most stern drives and outboard gear boxes. It is formulated with Antiwear additives and corrosion inhibitors to protect gear and bearing surfaces. Meets requirements of API service GL-5

Also keep in mind I maybe reselling this boat. Obviously I don't want to put something that will harm it, but would like to stay on the cheaper side.
While Pennzoil is typically frowned upon by most auto/mechanical enthusiast, your oil weight choice is good enough according to the service manual as it's second in line to use.;) http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq280-dpc_drive.html#/176

Since the oil gets to that area there really is no need to coat the lower/upper unit splines with grease but it wouldn't hurt to lube them in some of the same oil being used. See step 4 for more details of how to reinstall the lower to the upper unit, http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq280-dpc_drive.html#/122

The manual says seal the contact areas between the lower and upper units. Either Quicksilver perfect seal or Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket are similar/equivalent to what Volvo says to use. You can find Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket at an auto parts store.