95 vovlo penta ford 302 questions

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys so I'm wondering what oil I need to use in this engine will and marine 4 stroke oil should do fine? Was thinking 10w 30 would be alright 4 stroke, but it says outboard so not sure if it can be used in a inboard.

Also I can't find the engine number anywhere it seems to have been faded away or the sticker is gone. Does anyone have a model number I can reference for parts it's certainly a 95 vovlo penta ford 302 HO. I have attached a image for reference. It has ford on the manifolds and HO on one of the stickers.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
The service manual calls for SAE 30 weight oil. 502APHUE is what motor you have. It is a HU model.

As for the oil, it specifies synthetic volvo penta SG, but any SG SAE 30 will do.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I'm still confused as to what I should be using. Just normal car/truck oil? Just not 10w-30 or 10w-40.

I thought it's preferred to use a marine grade oil. What are you using?

I notice in your sig you have 5.0 HO listed is it a ford? If so can you share your model number I assume it's pretty much the same as mine.

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
yeah, it's a HO Ford. 302 cu. in or 5.0 liter. I use a SAE 30 weight oil. It's a thicker oil than a multi-weight oil.

My sticker on my engine is a APHUE engine. You can search for parts by using that model.

Here is a downloadable service manual for your engine. It's compliments of the late-great DonS. A former moderator that passed away a couple of years ago. He was and kinda still is a great resource for questioning boaters.

http://www.4shared.com/office/YhKe25kC/HU_early_NC_Engine_Manual_7788.htm

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that! I do actually have a DPC1 Duoprop on mine , but I got the model # for it. I'm really on the fence about reselling it cause I feel it maybe a lot of work due to some pretty rough corrosion, and being so close to my boating season. It does run, but off a dry test so far on 1 cylinder I got like 95 PSI which seems very low. I hear it's a great outdrive though. Parts are crazy high for it though. I paid $44 bucks just for a drain screw! lol

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question.. Oil filter wise can I just grab one at the auto shop for a 5.0 302? Or does it need to be marine? I wouldn't think it would matter, but the oil is thicker I guess.

Bondo

Staff member
Nope,... Any quality filter will do,....

I run Napa gold, rebadged Wix filters,...

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok cool thank you! Also am I doing something wrong removing the spark plugs? I got 3 different special tools, and some are blocked by the exhaust it seems. Do you really have to remove the exhaust to get to the spark plugs? I can't find any other way unless volvo has yet another tool to buy lol.

Last edited:

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
like the sides of the socket? Do they make any sockets for these engines?

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you done it before? If you could maybe send me a picture or example of what you did that would be great. I already got one side of the exhaust off, but would be awesome if I didn't have to remove it. Thanks so much!