1987 Bayliner Trophy Outdrive Identification With Photo

phqadmin

Recruit
I have a 1987 Bayliner Trophy 2460 with a Volvo AQ225E and was told 275 Outdrive.

After browsing through the forums and looking at the identification information here, I can see that I probably don't have what I have thought for the past 3 years. I have never had a problem with it but wanted to preemptively start building up spare gaskets are parts for a refresh on it and now I am not sure what I have.

All identifying numbers and pates are non-existent on this unit. Unless someone has any idea where else I can check than where is listed on these forums, I am at a loss.

I think I may have an SP-? Upper/Intermediate and a 275 Lower Unit. Would that be possible?

Any information you may offer is greatly appreciated. I did try to find the information in here using the search and reading through pages and pages of posts before I finally posted.

Thank you,
image_217710.png image_217711.png

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
Welcome, nice pics! You have what looks like and SP-A upper and intermediate, with a 275 or 270 lower gear housing. the give away is the exhaust outlet which was only used on the older 275 and 270. It may work fine for years depending on if the lower was properly fitted to the rest of the drive.

captmello

Captain
Also, the transom shield is most likely from and 275 which would have been used that year...I'd say you've got 30% SP-A and 70% 275 +/-.

I would say that the only SP-A parts you have are the upper gear box and shift cover.

Last edited:

phqadmin

Recruit
captmello,

Thank you! That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. When I bought the boat 3 years ago the previous (not original) owner gave me all the paperwork and it has notes all over stating AQ225E/275 The 225E was easy to verify, it's labeled everywhere. The outdrive was another story. He mentioned getting the unit rebuilt a few years previous to me purchasing, wonder if it was a "replace". Regardless, it works.

I appreciate the quick response. Like I said, no problems with it at all other than spinning the prop cone off and losing a new prop a couple years ago. When I changed the lube last year it seamed a little milky. When I check it this year (still early here in Michigan), if it's milky I intend to do a refresh on it with new seals/gaskets, just wanted to be sure I was looking for the right ones.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
This is just a suggestion, check the oil when you pull the boat out at the end of the season. Better not to let the drive sit all winter with water in the oil.
If my oil looks good, I change it before storage. If it is milky I pull the drive, drain the oil and do pressure / vacuum tests , fix leaks and do the pressure / vacuum tests again before I re install the drive.