Shifter linkage nut help?

cte069

Cadet
Hello all. Before I start I just wanteded to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge and time everybody provides. I have been a silent creeper on the site for awhile learning a thing or two about the boat I purchased.
Background- the boat I purchased is a 1997 Larson flyer bowrider with 4.3 Volvo penta and cobra out drive. It had spun 2 rod and 1main bearing. I got all the machine work done and rebuilt the motor. It is currently stab back in the boat.
My problem- when taking off the outdrive, which I have never done before I got hung up on the linkage nut? That connects the gear shifting cable to the shifting linkage on the outdrive. It was too big to be passed through the cable tunnel. In my infinite wisdom and too many adult beverages I cut the "***" off the bass bolt to allow it to slide out the back if the out drive...
Now I'm having a hell of a time finding that replacement bolt and the vovlo dealer is not to energic in knowledge and time to help me.
Here is a picture of the nut that was take by Augoose. Thanks for the beautiful post and pic Augoose it helped me a lot. I hope u didnt mind me using your pic.
Does anyone know where I can find/ buy this nut?
It is the one circled in Augoose's pic.
Thanks for all the input in advance.

Attachments

• image_196028.jpg
    image_196028.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Do you still have the 2 pieces? , Any boat place that sells morse, teleflex cables, outdrive, engine, Volvo Penta parts should have it. The threads are common since that screws on to the cable, the '***" comes in different sizes. Take both pieces with you.
OR
Since you didn't say what exact model outdrive you have, I took a guess, but you need to verify before you spring for the $2.00 :)
Volvo Penta part number 3852329 , this fits SX-C1 , SX-CT1,SX-RT1, DP-S , and probably a whole lot more!
It is labeled 61 in this schematic.

Put a new cable on, they do stretch and obviously the threads are messed up on the one you have.
Get some Volvo Penta anti sieze grease, when I put back together I use it on everything, not just the prop splines.
This part should screw on and off easily.

Attachments

• photo217707.PNG
    photo217707.PNG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1

cte069

Cadet
Hello K-2 and thanks for the reply. You made the correct guess on the out drive. That also is the correct nut. Strangely enough I have the same schematics photo and talked the Volvo penta dealer and sent (emailed)him the photo told him I needed part #61. You however armed me with the Volvo penta part number which my internet print off didn't have. After I talked and sent that stuff to the Volvo dealer's parts guy he will not return my calls.... Its been 3 weeks and I called every week...

I was hoping to find that nut on the internet somewhere to order. I really don't want to have to force my money on a business that doesn't want it.
As far as the cable goes the threads are fine. Once I had the out drive loose and raise by tractor I didn't have the available space to get the nut off. The nut was on there tight. Once I cut the *** off and removed the out drive and was able to reach it with some proper tools I was able to take it off. I greased up the cable,inspected the threads and the mangled nut when back on as smooth as ice. So I'm hoping the cable is fine. As far as the nut goes I have the nut but not the "***" I cut off.. I wasn't even thinking that the "***" can be at varying angles....
Worse case senerio I drive the 30 miles to Volvo penta dealer and raise some hell, order the nut and a replacement set up for the whole thing for insurance in case cable is bad.
Or I get lucky find someone online that wants my money.

Bondo

Staff member
I already googled it and found it online.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I believe iboats is carrin' the Volvo line of parts now a days, 'n I Know they carry cables, 'n ends,....
iboats parts links are at the top of this page,...

That looks like a typical morse fittin',....
The diameter, 'n threads, rather than the angle differs on different ones,....

cte069

Cadet
No Title

Found the bolt local at a different Volvo penta dealer that actually had customer service. Here is my progress motor rebuild, out drive on, old gas drained. Monday I'll be ready to add new gas, tune and chase gremlins

Attachments

• photo218138.jpg
    photo218138.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218139.jpg
    photo218139.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0