1991 Volvo-Penta Timing shunt

Propower

Recruit
Hey Guys
New here so here's my question

I am replacing the engine in my boat and can't find a timing shunt to set the base timing.
The engine is a 5.7Lt/350cid engine with throttle body injection. NON Vortec its the older 1st design systems from 1991.

I have the 4 pin shunt with the 2 wires looped and the aligator clip to B+ that is used in the distributor for newer model engines but this engine which is throttle body injected uses a 10 pin style connector near the front of the engine.

If anyone can give me a part number to purchase a shunt or instructions on which pins to connect to set the base timing or build my own for later use I will be eternally grateful.
My local Volvo dealer is really no help and will not sell me the shunt for the older model injection/timing system.

Thanks for any and all help with this

Dave

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There was no TBI in 1991 so where did did you get that from?

Normally, with fuel injection, you don't use a shunt. There is another method. This is a picture from am LK manual:
VolvoESTTiming.JPG

Last edited:

Propower

Recruit
Thanks Bruce!!!
Its been in the family since new
Registered as a 1991 Hourston.Maybe Canada only thing. Its a boat who really knows.
The original engine was 2BBL throttle body injected and uses the same T/body as a 454 in a PU truck.
But the timing shunt worked just perfect. I used to have the Volvo tool but it has been lost since the last tune up

Thanks again for the help

Dave

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If he has a Volvo, why are you posting a Mercruiser manual?

Merc... Volvo...no difference... is there if so i would like to see the suttle change's mefi is mefi and will operate the same with GM blocks and component's. However you may be right