I need a timing advance curve for a 1979 Volvo Penta AQ200 D 305 gmc

MustKite

Recruit
My distributor's advance springs are rusty. I'm going to take it in to a shop to have it dialed in and I've searched all over the net for the original OEM specs. Does anyone know what the advance curve should be on this engine. I know the basic idle timing and dwell. Thanks for any clue as to where to look.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,........ It would probably make more sense to drop in a new Delco EST, 'n go electronic, than fixin' yer old distributor,....

MustKite

Recruit
Thanks Bondo, I do agree with that. Does the Delco EST supply it's own advance or does it rely on the existing mechs? I'm willing to throw money in the hole to solve this but it would be nice to know if the solution matched the OEM curve. It seems that all I'm finding is a one size fits all with new electronic ignitions. I do like the idea of not having to set points and dwell a lot with that avenue. I've seen adjustable distributors, but I'm still looking at the same problem of not knowing what I'm shooting at for the curve.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bondo, I do agree with that. Does the Delco EST supply it's own advance or does it rely on the existing mechs? I'm willing to throw money in the hole to solve this but it would be nice to know if the solution matched the OEM curve. It seems that all I'm finding is a one size fits all with new electronic ignitions. I do like the idea of not having to set points and dwell a lot with that avenue. I've seen adjustable distributors, but I'm still looking at the same problem of not knowing what I'm shooting at for the curve.

Ayuh,.... The Delco EST is a marine distributor, with a marine advance curve,.....
'n it's all done electronically, no fly-weights,...

Yer puttin' too much thought, into a pretty simple project,....

Yer motor will be atleast as Happy, or Happier with the Delco EST,....

alldodge

Staff member

:welcome: to iboats

Delco Advance curve for V8
Delco EST Timing Curve V8.jpg

MustKite

Recruit
Wow. That wasn't what I expected for a curve. My Seloc Manual tells me 8^ at 600rpm and 30^ at 4200 with a dwell of 31^ +-3 I didn't realize they advanced so quickly in the rpm ranges.