Lower unit oil, Volvo or other

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Guys, please settle something for me. I have a DPS-A and for a couple years now have been running Lucas synthetic 75-90W gear oil in the unit without any problems, changing it annually. Primarily because a Volvo service center is not nearby and I would have to order and have it shipped which leads to extra costs. Am I honestly doing harm to my outdrive by using Lucas products over the Volvo oil. I appreciate your input.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Volvo Penta and other lower unit lubes, plus Amsoil Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube are designed to lube properly with a certain amount of water mixed in.
The Lucas is a GL-5, it says it works great with "posi" differentials (automotive) , generally we don't want a friction modifier in our drive oil.
I am NOT a Amsoil dealer, but the Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube and it's price have worked well for me. It is the only Amsoil product I use, don't want you thinking I'm banging the drum on the Amsoil bandwagon :) Then there's this, no mention of weight, 75W-90 ?? :

http://www.iboats.com/Synthetic-Gea...uctInfoContainer__Customer_Questions__Answers

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As long as it is not "LS", or limited slip, it's perfectly fine. I go back and forth between Volvo and Amsoil synthetics of the same weight with no problems from either.