1993 Volvo Penta Outdrive DP-D (740-300HP) replacement parts for propellor shaft

showdog

Cadet
I have a 1993 Cobalt with the above outdrive. Original props and parts. I have an extra set of props and have ordered spare parts for the shafts (Lock nut, cutter ring, cone etc.) because some of the older pieces were worn or broken. New pieces don't match exactly but the supplier assures me that this is ok. He states that not all of those pieces were needed. That sound true?

showdog

Cadet
Thanks Boat Dr1. So on we go tomorrow. Anything in particular to look for when finished? As long as I'm free spinning and not rubbing on anything I should be fine? Any tests to be performed before putting in the water?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

If you have 2 line cutters and the nylock type big nut, it goes like this:
first on, all the way forward is the line cutter with big hole, basically "the one that fits" then a prop, then big nylock nut then the other cutter, then prop, then what ever plastic spacer ring fills the gap between front of spinner and back side of prop. If you don't have line cutters then there will be thrust washers.
When done they should spin easy and gaps between everything should be uniform.
And you can mix and match the line cutters or thrust washers. In other words you can use a line cutter on the front then a thrust washer for the back prop.
I heard the line cutters are not available anymore, just thrush washers.

Attachments

• photo217200.PNG
    photo217200.PNG
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217201.jpg
    photo217201.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0

showdog

Cadet
Thanks K-2. You are correct as I have thrust washers and not line cutters. Also glad that you mentioned the plastic spacer ring (the originals were metal) as that concerned me that I was replacing with the correct parts.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
You mention the boat is a 1993. Was the drive replaced? 1993 was the DP-C drive and there is a difference in some parts you ask about regarding the DP-C and the DP-D

showdog

Cadet
Boat is a 93 but when I supplied the outdrive lower unit number to multiple sources they all said that it was a DP-D, including Volvo in Chesepeake, Va. We put the new props on going by the above diagram (which I was also given by 2 others) with no line cutters. We used the thrust washers and the locking nut. They spin freely and the gaps are uniform and the cone went on with just enough room so I am assuming all is good.