Where to find Quality Rebuilt DP-A Volvo Outdrivers?

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Hello, we may possibly be in need to two Volvo DP-A out drives. We had our boat pulled around 4 years ago to service the outdrives and again to overhaul them this week. The guy thats rebuilding them is saying there is too much corrosion to rebuild the out drives. When we pulled them 4 years ago we did not see any corrosion so I'm not sure whats up. We've yet to see the out drives for ourselves to decide.

Either way, is it possible to buy quality rebuilt DP-A? Serial numbers on them are 3102088574 and 3102088575. Spec numbers are 854021 on both.

Thanks for any guidance! The guy said we could buy new ones at his cost of $10,000 a pop... Not gonna happen...

Thalasso

Commander
What part of the drive is corroded? Lower unit? Just get the lower
I would be looking for a new guy.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have been maintaining your zinc's yearly, correct?

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Anodes on the transom look good. One zinc around the prop is good, the other was around half gone. By all means not bad.

Not sure what part is corroded. Gonna find out saturday. Just want some info to take along with me so we'll know our options.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
To expand your search a little they are an easy direct swap all the way through DP-B1.
DP-C and higher is a no go. E-Bay has some.
Report back on the corrosion problem.
Parts for DP-? are expensive ! They are a good drive.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Checked out the outdrives quickly this weekend. Appears the corrosion is on the intermediate housing where it pivots. Couldnt really see any other issues.

Is a 290 the same as a dp-a other than the lower unit?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Post a pic. The 290 is the DPA's father. The difference is the upper and intermediate. I pulled my drive apart and bead blasted the corrosion. The intermediate section is pretty much a spacer between the lower and the upper gear box.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
And then theres this. Guess he means that he rebuilds all of them. Idk. I just see 290 and dpa together alot. My dad picked up a 290 before I could see it or anything. If we can just use the intermediate section it would be worth it. The problem is, this is all happening over 3hrs from me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131380029569

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131380029569

I think he means he can get you what you need, 290 or DP-D, etc. The drive pictured there is a DP-C or later, I think they went to that color on the DP-D. It is not a 290.
You see the white bushing on the bracket? That hole is bigger on DP-C and later, that is the hinge pin, so if you have a DP-A you need a DP-A through DP-B1, they have a smaller diameter hinge pin .
Also the bracket is different.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200983463880

This should work with your DP-A . That is a VERY GOOD price . When you look up Volvo Penta price have your heart pills ready! :)

Part number 854033 shows up on the parts schematic I have for DP-A .

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Thats the link I posted :).

It says 290 along with dpa. So will the intermediate housing on the 290 work on a dpa also?

Yes, I should have quoted your link, I knew you posted it . :)
I don't know if all 290 housings will work. The 290 you have should have a part number on the intermediate housing, that should help in finding out if it will work on your DP-A .

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Well, bad news... Got a chance to check them out and talk to the mechanic. The dude knows his stuff, so we trust him. On both outdrives, around half of the output seal for the props is exposed. The material around the seal is just gone. Their leaking from between the intermediate housing and lower unit, around the shifter, and between the upper box and intermediate housing. The intermediate housing is ate up around where it pivots on both outdrives and the gear box (top part) has some corrosion where the seal rests on the intermediate housing. Around 4 years ago we replaced the seals where the shifter goes in but for some reason those still leak.

So now were back looking for new/rebuilt used DP-A outdrives. lowest Ive found is $9700 a piece.... Guy in Alaska wanted $6000 EA shipped (Rebuilt, 90 day warranty) but I have a bad feeling ordering outdrives from Alaska.

Any insight or guidance would be awesome.

This really sucks. The outdrives are 1990 models and work awesome. Shift smooth, nice and quiet, awful the housing didn't last as long as the internals. Anodes looked decent, but obviously were not changed like they should've been. Probably weren't magnesium though, boat is in fresh water. Parents have only owned the boat for 6 years.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
First off don't throw those out, still lots of valuable parts in there.
I will check around,see what I can find.
What ratio do you need?
Are you sure it's not a "B" ?

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Duoprop Drive Unit: 854021,,,, DP-B: 854021

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Only the one that says DP-A, the others are DP-C or later.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Im fairly certain they are dp-a. Don S ran the numbers for me sometime back and said they were 854021 dp-a 1.95 outdrives.

The 2nd link you posted looks just like it. Im still not sure what the difference in the 290DP and the dpa is.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Can't your out drive mechanic tell you the difference? I have never owned a 290 so I never researched them. If you can get it to bolt up then go for it.
Is this on a house boat? You could switch to SP-A or B, they are usually a lot cheaper.