Water in Cylinders, switch to tall risers?

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm making pretty good progress getting the engine back together, but after installing the heads, intake and distributor, I've run into a snag on the fuel pump bracket. There are two studs coming out of the head that the bracket mounts to. They seem to be too long now. I can only guess that the machine shop removed the studs and reinstalled them but didn't screw them in all the way. They seem to be frozen in place now and I can't turn them with channel locks. I can probably stack some washers to get the FP bracket far enough off the block for everything to fit right, but if anyone knows how far these studs should stick out, or how to screw them in, please share. The parts manual shows nothing between the bracket and the head except the engine lift bracket and a couple of small clips.

Bondo

Staff member
I'm making pretty good progress getting the engine back together, but after installing the heads, intake and distributor, I've run into a snag on the fuel pump bracket. There are two studs coming out of the head that the bracket mounts to. They seem to be too long now. I can only guess that the machine shop removed the studs and reinstalled them but didn't screw them in all the way. They seem to be frozen in place now and I can't turn them with channel locks. I can probably stack some washers to get the FP bracket far enough off the block for everything to fit right, but if anyone knows how far these studs should stick out, or how to screw them in, please share. The parts manual shows nothing between the bracket and the head except the engine lift bracket and a couple of small clips.

Ayuh,... Put 2 nuts on a stud, jam 'em together, 'n run 'em in on the outer nut, when in-place, remove the nuts, 'n do the other stud,...

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I feel stupid on this issue... I didn't have the idler pulley bracket in place, and it has enough thickness to make everything fit as it should on the studs. How hard would it have been for Volvo to show that bracket in the parts diagram?

Anyway, got the valve lash set last night, will install water pump (had to remove it to rotate the engine), valve covers, and exhaust manifolds and risers tonight. Should be firing her up this evening!

I still have some questions about the carbon buildup on the throttle butterfly valve and the sooty plugs. I haven't found any info yet on setting mixture. I'm planning to buy 8 more rather expensive ACDelco 19256067 Iridium plugs unless anyone has any better suggestions.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woo Hoo!!! Back together a purring like a kitten. Just in time for a trip tomorrow to Rockport.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat performed perfectly over the weekend in Rockport, TX. It was a bit windy and the fish weren't biting, but I was real happy the engine ran so well after the major repairs. Thanks for the all the advice, and if anyone has any thoughts on the carbon on the throttle plate and the black plugs, please chime in.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm happy to hear that the engine is now running well. By the way, have you done another compression check on the cylinder that had the original 90psi reading? I'm betting the compression has come up.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very good question... I haven't rechecked the low cylinder yet, but intend to. I agree, the rings have probably unstuck themselves from all the running, and maybe some of the treatment in the oil and I expect the compression to be much better. I'll post an update when I get around to it.