Rochester QuadraJet Rebuild Kit

Pesimist

Seaman
Well, after 25-years of faithful service its time to rebuild the Carburetor on my Volvo AQ205 (GM 4.3).

Does anyone have a source for rebuild kits (gasket sets)? Carburetor is a Volvo PN: 856138, Rochester PN: 17088142

Accelerator pump quit working last summer.

And....Which phase of the moon and alignment of the planets will be best for ensuring no left over parts?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Well, after 25-years of faithful service its time to rebuild the Carburetor on my Volvo AQ205 (GM 4.3).

Does anyone have a source for rebuild kits (gasket sets)? Carburetor is a Volvo PN: 856138, Rochester PN: 17088142

Accelerator pump quit working last summer.

And....Which phase of the moon and alignment of the planets will be best for ensuring no left over parts?

Here appears to be a kit including the accelerator pump.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-MERC...RETOR-KIT-ROCHESTER-QUADRAJET-4-/161611030816

As for the star alignment, it's snowing here so can't see them :D

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Top of the forum, the "Boat Motor Parts" link."Volvo Penta Parts"Link.
Open that and find the Sierra parts link. It should have the Volvo/Quadrajet parts.
Sierra 18-7072 Amazon about 13$

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's an excellent carb. If you've never re-built one, you may want to take it off and bring it in...... I've heard they can be a little finicking to tune, that's why I believe they got a bad rap and people called them Q-junks. If you know a mechanic that has worked on a lot of Q-jets, that would be a plus...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
That's an excellent carb. If you've never re-built one, you may want to take it off and bring it in...... I've heard they can be a little finicking to tune, that's why I believe they got a bad rap and people called them Q-junks. If you know a mechanic that has worked on a lot of Q-jets, that would be a plus...

Agreed they are fickle but when done right there the bomb so to speak. With that said unless your very experienced it's probably time for a new one..you need to check every moving part for slop or wear..the throttle blades and the shaft blades screw's ect. With that said due to age i would soak the carb in vinegar for 7/12 hours followed by a bath/dip in a baking soda that will neutralize the acid. Make sure you do a complete disassembly of the carb includeing the power valve you want the vinegar to dissolve matter in the circuts..Good luck they can be a hard nut to crack.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Nothing wrong with Q-jets.
It's probably to your benefit to have it done by a pro.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What is meant by "Hard to tune"?
How about the needed manifold gasket part number?