Rewiring an older hull

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice
I got the new engine in the hull over the weekend. It's a 350 Vortec SBC. Flat top pistons with 9.5 compression. A "Hot Chevy" cam opens the valves. All balanced rotating assembly.

Now since the PO did a HACK job wiring the boat using household wing nuts for wire connectors, I need to strip the mess & rewire the whole boat. It will be using 2 batteries. There is a 70 amp battery isolator on one of the stringers. Also I have a "perko" dual battery switch. Don't know how to tie everything together.

But first I need a wiring diagram from the ignition switch to the engine starter & HEI distributor. I know I saw a diagram here somewhere , but damn if I can find it. Anybody have a wiring diagram for a 1985 Volvo 290 using a 350 SBC? The hull is a 26' 1985 Nordic Viking.
Thanks....-Rich

Bondo

Staff member
I got the new engine in the hull over the weekend. It's a 350 Vortec SBC. Flat top pistons with 9.5 compression. A "Hot Chevy" cam opens the valves. All balanced rotating assembly.

Now since the PO did a HACK job wiring the boat using household wing nuts for wire connectors, I need to strip the mess & rewire the whole boat. It will be using 2 batteries. There is a 70 amp battery isolator on one of the stringers. Also I have a "perko" dual battery switch. Don't know how to tie everything together.

But first I need a wiring diagram from the ignition switch to the engine starter & HEI distributor. I know I saw a diagram here somewhere , but damn if I can find it. Anybody have a wiring diagram for a 1985 Volvo 290 using a 350 SBC? The hull is a 26' 1985 Nordic Viking.
Thanks....-Rich

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Just how Hot is the cam,..?? Got any numbers on it,..??

If that's a GM HEI distributor, it Ain't a Marine distributor, 'n it's Unsafe to use it,.....

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice
The cam is .495 & .525 lift . 214 & 224 duration and a 112* cenerline. The distributor has been converted for marine use by locking out the vacuum advance & limiting the mechanical advance... NOW, about my wiring problem?

alldodge

Staff member
Wiring diagram for Merc
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/techbk/96/96hgd4.pdf

It will be using 2 batteries. There is a 70 amp battery isolator on one of the stringers. Also I have a "perko" dual battery switch. Don't know how to tie everything together.

Your not going to be able to use a dual battery stitch and an isolator, it needs to be either one, or (2) single battery switches and an isolator
Dual Battery switch StandardBatterySwitchWiring1.jpg

Isolator setup dual_batteryISOLATOR.jpg

You can install two separate single battery and isolator bat switch.png

Last edited: