Removing oil drain screw from Volvo outdrive.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys from what I hear these screws tend to seize up, but mine is really bad. I can't even get it out with impact screw driver manual and a electric one. I'm not sure if I really should be heating it up or not. Could I drill it out? Sounds risky too :) I expect this gear oil hasn't been done in years.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
take a nt!! ized to the screw to be removed -on inside thread diameter!=thats a stainless screw in the od too- yet can use standard steel nut! weld the center of the nut inside to the screw!! let cool & remoce the thing!!

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're telling me here so basically heating it would be fine?

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take a 7/16 nut and weld it on the drain plug . Let it cool then turn it out . Bye a new drain plug to replace that one. There cheap to bye .

Last edited:

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Impact did not work for me. I had to heat and use a big screw driver with a pair of vice grips clamped to the shaft for leverage. A 2nd person pushing in while you turn is also helpful.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know about cheap, +$40.00 , it's not an SX-M .
Get a screwdriver that you can hammer on without the handle absorbing all the force. Put the tip off to one side of the slot in drain plug and tilt the screwdriver
and hammer it the rotation to unscrew. counter clock wise . Just give it a few smacks to break it loose, then try screwdriver like normal.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
A couple of months ago, I bought a 1997 Suzuki Sidekick. Every one of the drains and fill plugs were stuck, and I had the right metric tool. I used a propane torch for about 30 sec on each one. I also Had a very hard time with a breaker bar on the swivel pins on my Volvo SX, until I used the propane torch also. Heat is your friend. Get a dremel tool and cut a good slot for your tool. If you have an impact drill driver, that will get it out. Dave-R

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Clean up the slot for the screwy.
Make an old screwy fit the new slot.
Take your time and make it fit
WD or PB spray and heat and tap with a small hammer on the screwdriver.
Repeat a couple of times.
The tapping will loosen some of the corrosion.
Good luck.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Shackle you jinxed me: I Just took off the SX drive of my new to me 1999 Four Winns 180 today to inspect the bellows and grease the u-joints. After I got it back on I went to drain the drive. The drain plug looked like new. Not good I'm thinking. So I get my big screw driver and proceed to scar up the screw. Okay now I went with my motorcycle hammer impact screw driver. Would not touch it. I then went and ground up a huge old screw driver to fit the screw perfectly. I also had a 3/8 wrench on the shaft, and now I have a lot of tension on it. I had a feeling something bad was just about to happen, so I stopped. I got My Makita drill driver and the biggest impact slot driver I owned, and the propane torch. I heated for a bout 20-30 seconds, then used the impact to take the little SOB off. It worked. Surprisingly, the oil looked good. It did not look synthetic, so I finished changing the oil. I was able to take the vent screw out with my big ground screwdriver, and used it with a new o-ring on the bottom. I don't know why someone would tighten them so tight. They have an o-ring. I wonder if coating the o-ring with oil would help next time? Dave-R

Will Withers

Cadet
I took a bench grinder to the biggest allen wrench i could find. Carved a flat head on the one end that fit snug in the drain plug. A lot better leverage than a regular screwdriver.
That with a little heat i was able to get it out.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I'm waiting on a larger torch to get it off we'll see how it goes :) I tried a small butane torch, but no dice.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The propane should be hot enough.
I've done this too.
Heat the area around the screw. Then ice the screw head.
Try turning.