AQ225 Electrical Issue?

Will Withers

Cadet
Hi all,
I have an AQ225. I am having what I believe to be a electrical issue. I would love to get your opinion on where to look, or what to do.
I turn the battery on. Put the key in and turn on notch. I see the dash get power. When I turn it to start I hear one CLICK and that?s it. Then I lose power to my dash? nothing.
If I turn the battery off and then back on I can repeat this with one same result. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
Batteries are charged... I put a volt reader up to the starter and it seems to be getting enough juice.
Thanks in advance.

Will

Will Withers

Cadet
Thanks i will get some and clean up some connections. Does anyone know if this is a indicator of a bad starter?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Will, how old is your starting battery and is it fully charged? Because if it is not fully charged then it will do that exact thing. So make sure the terminals are shiny clean, tight, and the battery is total charged. Then if you have the same problem, let is know...

You can also jump around the starter solenoid with a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the actual starter to see if it works... But make sure the jumper wire is a very huge gauge wire to handle the current. Also check the ground wire from the battery to the engine... Let us know

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Need to know the year or model#? C D F or B
Different years have slightly different wiring systems.
Sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere.
Re-do all the battery connections.
Any circuit breakers left in the system?
By pass them.
Test light? Start on the solenoid and work around.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Check your battery voltage when you do this by putting a meter right on the battery posts themselves...not on the terminals. If the voltage does not drop, then you need to check all your connections.

Remove clean and replace:
  1. Cable from positive terminal battery to starter solenoid(both ends).
  2. Cable at the starter solenoid that ends up going to the engine harness. This will need to cleaned well.
  3. Cable from negative terminal of battery to block(both ends).

Will Withers

Cadet
OK.. Got just ordered some dielectric grease.
Battery is not to old, year at most and I had it connected to a trickle charger. It pushes out over 12V when I put the meter up to it.
Ill try the jumper wire to the starter to make sure the starter is good. For this I just take the wire from the positive battery post to where the wire coming off the battery switch is connected right? Then turn the ignition?
When you say to check the ground wire form the battery to the engine do you mean just to insure there is a clean connection?
Jerry,
I believe the engine if a 225E or 225F.
Ok after I clean up the connections I will look around for ground wires and either replace them or give them a good cleaning.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Answered in bold in line:

Battery is not to old, year at most and I had it connected to a trickle charger. It pushes out over 12V when I put the meter up to it.
You have to measure the battery voltage with a load on it. That is why I said to measure while trying to crank.

Ill try the jumper wire to the starter to make sure the starter is good. For this I just take the wire from the positive battery post to where the wire coming off the battery switch is connected right? Then turn the ignition?
I wouldn't do that at first if at all. Do everything else first.

When you say to check the ground wire form the battery to the engine do you mean just to insure there is a clean connection?
Yes, remove and clean mating surfaces to bare metal.

Ok after I clean up the connections I will look around for ground wires and either replace them or give them a good cleaning.
The only ground you need to worry about right now is the negative battery cable.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Harbor freight has a load tester. Under $25.
The battery can read 12v and still be bad.
A battery charger can be working and not charging.
My neighbors pontoon has 1 battery and he hooked up his charger for 4hrs.
Came out and the battery wouldn't turn the motor over.
Put on a different charger and it charged with no problems.
It was putting out 12v but no amps.

Will Withers

Cadet
Thanks for the advise. Was going to harbor fright tomorrow anyways to get a heat shrink gun.

Also, I forgot to mention I changed my alternator. Would something I did there cause these symptoms?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No the alternator is added to the system and not a direct part like the starter/solenoid and cables.

Will Withers

Cadet
So I was going and cleaning connections. But most were really bad. I decided to just pull and replace all battery wire/connections and wire/connections from the switch to the starter.

I noticed that the previous owner had grounded on the engine in multiple different placed. (Side of the exhaust manifold and back by the bell housing) Have you guys had better more luck grounding in a specific spot than others?

I should clean all the paint off the spot i choose to ground correct?

thanks for all the help.

Bondo

Staff member
So I was going and cleaning connections. But most were really bad. I decided to just pull and replace all battery wire/connections and wire/connections from the switch to the starter.

I noticed that the previous owner had grounded on the engine in multiple different placed. (Side of the exhaust manifold and back by the bell housing) Have you guys had better more luck grounding in a specific spot than others?

I should clean all the paint off the spot i choose to ground correct?

thanks for all the help.

Ayuh,..... Clean metal grounds, 'n grease 'em after ya tighten 'em down,......

Standard spot for the battery ground wire is to a block flange/ flywheel cover bolt,....
But,.....
There's No such thing as too many Ground paths,.....

Will Withers

Cadet
Thanks Guys. Re did all the wiring. And the engine turned over fine.
Now i just need to work on the Outdrive tilt motor, which seems to be getting no power. And slap a rebuilt carb on it......

Will Withers

Cadet
Hi Guys, i rewired the engine/starter/battery/switch connections and it seem to turn over just fine. Thanks for the help.

Now i just need to get my outdrive tilt motor working which I'm assuming is a wiring connection issue also..... any threads that could point me in the right direction in trouble shooting this?