Need help identifing motor and out drive by pictures.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know the out drive is a vovlo penta, but not exactly sure what model if anyone can tell by picture. He claims these are original to the boat, but I have my doubts since most these boats had the mercruiser motor and out drive.

I've also attached a picture of the motor which he says is a 1995 302 marine ford. As far as I know these where only made in the 70's right?

I know the pictures aren't so great, but hopefully someone can make them out.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 00A0A_1pHVPEY56kG_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_1pHVPEY56kG_600x450.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Could be a 5.0FL or 5.8FL , I want to say some Fords were used again, from 1993- ? Someone will know.
Drive - DP-C , just a guess, definitely some kind of DP . That is a strong drive.
No tag on the out drive? You would probably need to lower it to read the tag .
I would consider that package to be worth putting money into.

Last edited:

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool thanks for the info. It's an outstanding deal, and seems it just needs the alternator replaced. Even if the motor was swapped I'll likely still get it, but would be good to know. Yeah I spoke to a marine shop and they did mention they heard for 90's model marine fords just wanted to confirm.

Won't be able to check the outdrive more until I go see it, but I certainly find the dual prop nice :) He says it will get up to 45 mph and it's a 23 foot deck boat fiberglass (likely 4-5k lbs).

Bondo

Staff member
I've also attached a picture of the motor which he says is a 1995 302 marine ford. As far as I know these where only made in the 70's right?

Ayuh,.... Mercruiser dropped the Ford motors in the late 70s,...

OMC used Ford, up until they closed up shop, 'n died,...

Volvo ran Ford up to atleast '95,.....

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I've heard the Vovlo outdrives are pretty rock solid, but how are the marine fords? Are the marine parts easy to get?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can get almost any Volvo part you need.
Some of the older stuff is a bit hard to get but the 95 stuff is all available..
They have a link to the Volvo site here.Top of the forum.
If you buy any bellows or any parts get Volvo stuff.
The aftermarket is usually way inferior.
And not much cheaper.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is a 95 Monterey 230exp 23 foot deck boat

So I could only find these numbers for the outdrive: vovlo penta 872854 FA393-03

Engine: Fk416-AA and D30E-9426-AA I can't seem to find a badge that has a model, but it has a couple volvo pentra logos on the engine. Does say 5.0 HP. I guess the engine and outdrive are 95, but not exactly sure.

It seems to run good and I snagged this for $2800 :)

I did however lose a axle coming home (long and crazy story), and it does have signs of being on the sea or near it. I'm concerned with some of the rust on the pulleys I assume I may need re replace all them?

I can't seem to find more details on the engine so if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Did you find the ID Tag on the drive?
872845 is just the part number for the suspension fork.

Attachments

• photo216306.PNG
    photo216306.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 0

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
^ Click on outdrive pic to see red arrow showing where ID Tag is located ^

Last edited:

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that it's a 1995 DP-C 3102161726. The engine is still a mystery I know it's Volvo penta (maybe 302 ford), but can't seem to find the engine model badge on it. Looks all over the place. Maybe kinda hidden like the outdrive :)

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like the engine shouldn't be to hard to track down, I don't think VP used Fords very long in the 90's . Got to be some numbers somewhere .

DP-C is a good drive . But be warned :) now you must take sides on the age old argument if a DP-C, or DP-A or any DP-? is a 290.
Don't call it a 290 DP-C around here :) Volvo Penta parts guys go either way on this, first they have to tell you how many years
they have been VP certified :)

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tips :) Happen to know where I can pull up diagrams and parts Volvo's site isn't too user friendly or I'm missing something.