'96 Glastron GS205 40th Anniversary Edition Volvo Penta 5.7 cobra SX-C1 1.60 outdrive

jwhendry

Cadet
I bought this boat in 2012 and took it to the lake 3 times. The 3rd day the motor quit. I tore it down and could only salvage the heads to rebuild. It was worn smooth out and bored 60 over already. I took that motor out and built a 383 and put in it. We took it to the lake for a shake down run and wasn't in the water long and noticed a knocking sound coming from the bell housing area. So we had to have done something wrong there. I didn't use the flywheel that came with the original motor. I used the one that came with the rotating assembly I bought. Should I have taken the outdrive off and done something. Since I found this site I have done a lot of reading to figure it out. I'm sure I need to change the bellows and gimbal bearing because there was a leak in the transom area and a leak behind the rub rail it looked like. I didn't get to the lake in 14 at all. I got discouraged and fed up and quit working on the boat. I'm ready to get started again and would like a little direction from the more knowledgable guys here. What other things do I need to do to get it lake ready again. I can't find many interior parts for it or info on this boat. I wanted to find the original stickers for it but can't find those either. I'm going to restore the boat this year hopefully if I can find everything. I got a guy that's gonna do the interior. It looked good when I bought it. Then the cover ripped and it got weathered. It sure didn't take long to go downhill. My fault now I got to pay for it. Thanks for all the help in advance. This is a great site with a lot of info. I'll try to post pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't take long to turn a boat into a junker.
If there is any noise in the drive? or the gimbal housing?
Take it off and check the bellows for water.
The u-joints can be replaced with some work.
Take it off and post some pics.

jwhendry

Cadet
The noise cane about right after I replaced the engine. That's also before i found this site and have done alot of reading. I didn't align the gimbal bearing either. I have ordered the bellows kit and gimbal bearing and plan is to replace all that. Thats where water was coming in im gonna say. Im planning on changing the u-joints also. I got the proper tools to ordered also to get the bearing out. I've learned alot from all the post so it dont cost an arm and 4 legs at the dealership. Thanks for all the post from everyone. Its really a great help to understand Ill get it off next week toward the later part. I will post pics. Thanks.