Converting Traditional Fuel Water Separators with Collection Bowls

KCaldwell

Recruit
I have a 1990 Carver with twin Volvo Penta 570A DP. I have a fuel water separator on each engine and typically use Sierra 18-7845 (10 micron) or 18-7846 (21 micron). We have had to change out elements too many times during the season due to water rather than particles clogging the filters. I would like to look into replacing them with the new filters that have the water collection bowls attached to the bottom so that I can easily drain the water. It is difficult to change the filters without spilling some gasoline in the bilge due to where they are located so I would much rather drain a little water out through the bowl plug. I am having trouble finding proper cross reference information on what my options are. I would like to keep the same housing and just be able to screw in a new filter element with the bowl on the bottom. And even better yet, I am not sure I have enough clearance to use the same height element as the Sierra while adding a collection bowl so I am wondering if there are any shorter filters with collection bowls that would work?

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1990 Carver with twin Volvo Penta 570A DP. I have a fuel water separator on each engine and typically use Sierra 18-7845 (10 micron) or 18-7846 (21 micron).
We have had to change out elements too many times during the season due to water rather than particles clogging the filters. I would like to look into replacing them with the new filters that have the water collection bowls attached to the bottom so that I can easily drain the water.
It is difficult to change the filters without spilling some gasoline in the bilge due to where they are located so I would much rather drain a little water out through the bowl plug.
I am having trouble finding proper cross reference information on what my options are. I would like to keep the same housing and just be able to screw in a new filter element with the bowl on the bottom. And even better yet, I am not sure I have enough clearance to use the same height element as the Sierra while adding a collection bowl so I am wondering if there are any shorter filters with collection bowls that would work?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya considered movin' the fliters,..??

Also, when changin' 'em, bring a freezer grade quart zip-lock baggie with ya,...
Ya just crack loose the filter with yer wrench, slip the baggie under it, spin it off, drop it in, 'n zip it up,...(I do oil filters this way too)
Then you can dump it out, 'n see any water in the baggie,....

You need somebody with access to Wix or Napa's data base to cross the thread pitch/ seal face sizes with a drain-able filter,...

Donno whether it exists, or not,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep you would need the metal bowl. And consider this, the Raycors with the metal bowl, have a plug in the bottom. You can drain them from the plug, yes, but you will drain the whole filter, including the gas. So its no different than removing a conventional filter in that respect. Also I tried a Raycor and I found (as have others) that it is very difficult to get the bowl off the filter element when its time to change the element. I used it once and then went back to the Sierra 10 micron filters I'd been using for years with no problems. I say solve your water problem. I've had this boat more than 10 years and changed the filter every year and never found water in it. You have a bad gas fill gasket, or water coming in a vent.

KCaldwell

Recruit
Yep you would need the metal bowl. And consider this, the Raycors with the metal bowl, have a plug in the bottom. You can drain them from the plug, yes, but you will drain the whole filter, including the gas. So its no different than removing a conventional filter in that respect. Also I tried a Raycor and I found (as have others) that it is very difficult to get the bowl off the filter element when its time to change the element. I used it once and then went back to the Sierra 10 micron filters I'd been using for years with no problems. I say solve your water problem. I've had this boat more than 10 years and changed the filter every year and never found water in it. You have a bad gas fill gasket, or water coming in a vent.

Good point. I thought it would only drain the water portion. That seems rather useless to me then. I definitely like the idea of changing filters with a gallon zip lock bag - will definitely use that trick from now on. I guess to start with I will change my fuel fill gaskets and check my vents. Something has to be allowing water in because I am getting much more than just condensation. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Bondo

Staff member
I guess to start with I will change my fuel fill gaskets and check my vents. Something has to be allowing water in because I am getting much more than just condensation

Ayuh,.... Make sure the vent line has an Upward loop in it, comin' from the thru-hull fittin',....

Then down to the fuel tank,.....