Volvo Penta 5.7 Gi-E Fuel unit

Flyboy42880

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 2004 Crownline 225 with the VP 5.7 Gi-E. The guy I bought it from just told me about some problems he had the last few years about it being hard to start when warm... Great... So I started doing all the research I could and concluded it probably is the fuel unit paint clogging issue that seems to be so common. So before the season starts, I've decided to pull the pumps and regulator to check for blockage.

Before I do it though, I'd like to know what parts I might need. I have ordered the e-clip for the fuel regulator service bulletin that VP put out (#21491831). I can't find part numbers for all the fuel pump/reservoir o-rings anywhere though... Anyone have those and any other parts I may need.

Thanks in advance,
Brinton

alldodge

Staff member
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 2004 Crownline 225 with the VP 5.7 Gi-E. The guy I bought it from just told me about some problems he had the last few years about it being hard to start when warm... Great... So I started doing all the research I could and concluded it probably is the fuel unit paint clogging issue that seems to be so common. So before the season starts, I've decided to pull the pumps and regulator to check for blockage.

Before I do it though, I'd like to know what parts I might need. I have ordered the e-clip for the fuel regulator service bulletin that VP put out (#21491831). I can't find part numbers for all the fuel pump/reservoir o-rings anywhere though... Anyone have those and any other parts I may need.

Thanks in advance,
Brinton

Paint inside the fuel unit doesn't cause the engine to start hard when warm, it causes the motor not to start cold or warm. The paint clogs everything up and it starves for fuel. Here is a thread discussing the issue

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...w-approach-to-the-volvo-penta-fuel-cell-5-0gi

Here is the Merc service bulletin which is the same as for VP

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/001/04//2009/EN_01.PDF

Flyboy42880

Cadet
I have only tested the boat 1 time on the water, the day I bought it. It may be hard to start cold or hot. I'll find out soon. The Merc SB really doesn't have anything to do with the fuel regulator SB I was referring to.

Either way, I'd still like to clean it out and replace the o-rings before the season starts... :)

Flyboy42880

Cadet
Got some great info from a fellow member.

O-rings you need are:
4- BV75143
4- V75015
2- B70039
2- H70013

I ordered them from theoringstore.com, cost about $11 shipped. Hope this helps someone... I'll report back when mine come in to verify they are the correct ones. Thanks again Donald!

Flyboy42880

Cadet
Got the o-rings in the mail. All were correct size except V75015... They were the correct diameter, but thinner than original. I didn't want to chance it so I just used original ones. They were in good shape anyway.

Wow, was there a lot of paint flaking off in the reservoir! Glad I cleaned that out either way... Not the easiest getting the float out and back in, but you definitely need to blast underneath it too. That was the worst place the paint was flaking off at. Hope this helps someone.