Pulled my 4.3 intake. How much water got into my engine?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced my 2 barrel intake with a 4 barrel last week. I got it all back together today and when I went to change the oil I got around a quart of perfectly clear water out of the dipstick tube before any colored water started to flow. Does one quart sound excessive? When I pulled the intake I removed the front plug in the intake and tilted the boat as far forward as it would go to get out a lot of the water. I am just making sure I don't have anything else going on. Boat is in a garage and it does not freeze here.

Thanks

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Figured it out. During reinstall, the intake manifold gasket had shifted down at the left rear of the engine. The plastic dowel pin was smashed at an angle. When I pressed on the big cooling hose, I could hear water dripping in while listening at the oil cap. Can I reuse the gaskets since they were only on for a few days? Any tips on getting the goo out of the engine? It won't suck out the dipstick tube.

I am thinking about something like this. I can shove then end out the drain plug of the boat. http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1603...e+funnel&pebp=1422596582393&peasin=B00GD2HYQW

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your dipstick is threaded into the drain hole of the pan. You do use a pump that threads into the top of the dipstick right an not one that send a tube down the dipstick?

Last edited: