SX-M Installation

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the stern drive unit SX-M, in order to lubricate the U-joint and inspect Bellows.
Now, during the installation, I have to tighten the 6 elastic mounting bolts nuts to 50 ft lbs, that securing the upper unit to the transom bracket.
I have one torque wrench ? in drive cliper type, but is too large to tighten the 6 elastic bolts.
On my local area I can?t find one 3/8 wrench small enough to tighten this bolts.
Could you please inform one wrench brand that should be small enough to tighten this bolts, which I could by at e bay.
Thanks

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I don't worry about torque on those, as they do have the nylon lockers. I just use a 5/8" box wrench and snug them up. Never lost one yet. Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a 3/8" torque wrench and 3/8" sockets that have built in universal joints similar to these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-38...set-67929.html
These may be too thick so you want to find ones thin enough to fit in the slot.
The ones I use look exactly what is shown in the manual.

I torque them to spec and in the pattern that the service manual indicates. The manual states to tighten them to 25ft lbs and then to 50 ft lbs. Yes, I think it is important to tighten them to the proper torque and sequence and I ALWAYS use a torque wrench on these.

Last edited:

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your answers
So with this 3/8" sockets that have built in universal joints the head of the a 3/8" torque wrench is outside the slot ?
Because my first problem is finding a 3/8" torque wrench thin enough to fit in the slot. I have a torque wrench ? in, but is too large.
Almeida

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You use these and an extension. Just like it shows in the manual.
Volvo_drive_install.JPG

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK.
You are talking about a Volvo Manual ?
I only have the Seloc manual, but now I understand the procedure.
Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should get a volvo manual. Don't use a Seloc.

What is your model number?

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine is Vovo Penta 5.0 GI PWTR Product N? 3868945
The Drive is SX-M 1,60 Product N? 3868891