Engineers have to be laughing

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I finished my epic job of replacing the trim sender on my Volvo SX drive . Not really finished it, but ready to install the pivot and drive back on. I read a post where Don S. could do these in an hour. It took me that long just to see the wire with a mirror and flashlight. Talk about a lousy location. Some said you could just splice the wires on the outside and be okay, but mine were cut to short reach. Even after I removed the clip, the rubber grommet would not push out. So I had to remove the drive and the pivot, and the new bellows I put on. Getting the pivot off was tough. Needed a lot of heat to release the yellow locktite they used. I had to buy the 1/2" Allen socket . I was actually afraid to use it because it did not fit the bolts exactly, but that's what the manual said to do. And after my 700lb. rattle gun would not take them out, I used Kroil oil and heat and my breaker bar. Last, but not least are the cheesy wire plugs that you pull out the old ones, and with a special tool install the new wires in your old plug. In my dreams tonight I meet the Engineer who designed this down a dark alley with my special tool ( tire iron ) Dave-R
P.S. I tried to get out of replacing this but the Admiral insisted.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just snipped the wires going to the old one at the sender and used Ancor waterproof butt connectors to connect the new one back up again. DonS yelled at me for suggesting that method but it is just ridiculously hard to do it the "correct way". Mine has been working fine for over 8 years. If it ever fails again, I will NOT be replacing it.

My method was suggested to me by an authorized Volvo mechanic as the way he did it.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce if I only could have been so lucky. My wires were damaged almost to the last 4 inches. I did gain a lot of respect for a dentist though. I was trying to hold a flashlight into a mirror, and pliers or screwdriver with the other hand. And then having the mirror being backwards to every movement. My big fear is finding out the Volvo shop would do it for 50 bucks. Ha Ha. I wonder what they charge for trim sender replacement? Oh well I got a real good Allen socket, and some actual mechanic experience. Dave-R

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wish they had used the tube for the shift cable to also run the wires for the trim sensor. You would have been done in 5 minutes. Having the end of the tube above the water line is a simple solution to keeping water out.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Smassey you are a rocket scientist . I wouldn't think something like that would be so difficult. I think the designers should spend some time doing maintenance on their drives , to help understand the difficult procedures, that could be easier. Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If I take half my boat apart it is actually very easy. Some boats are easy...some are hard.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The other way to do it is to look at your tachometer.....

Agreed pretty much a idiot guage for myself, my tach and gps rule the day. I occasionally glance at it and give the spock raised eye brow.... intresting.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Tail_gunner said:
Agreed pretty much a idiot guage for myself, my tach and gps rule the day. I occasionally glance at it and give the spock raised eye brow.... intresting.

Yep... And that is on a good day. If one is offshore on even a moderate day you adjust your trim based on how your back feels, and how much spray you feel like taking over the bow that day. No gauges needed.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On my similar Cobra my mechanic did a simple mod to turn this into a 10 min job. He drilled a small hole in the side of the transom mount and ran the wire up the transom and inside the boat like a transducer mount. I've changed it 2-3 times over the years and it takes all on 10 min.
You can see it on the right hand side of this old photo....

Last edited: