DPS-A Trim Cylinder Rebuild

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I had a leak in one of the cylinders, I decided to rebuild them both...just as well, both had milky water in them. Bill was very helpfull, even sent me a replacement rod seal after I damaged one.

Volvo SX - A DPS - A Trim Cylinder Ram Rebuild Kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-SX-A-D.../300948028966?

Volvo Penta Trim Pump Service Kit SX-A 3889431
http://www.iboats.com/Kit-Sealing/dm...view_id.295276

The most difficult part was to remove the circular cap retaining ring, but there is a access hole where you can insert an punch, and push it out. The rod seal was another challenge to get in....it's inside the cylinder cap, you have to look for it.

IMG_4568_zpsd14533de.jpg

The red bi-directional o-ring, replaces the Volvo failed design, of o-ring + seal sandwich.

IMG_4569_zpsf7276df2.jpg

I wasn't sure if the trim fluid was leaking out of the cylinder cap o-ring, or the trim hose o-ring, so I ordered the kit to replace them as well. You have to drill out the retainer ring to get to the o-ring.

IMG_4570_zps27527a54.jpg

O-rings and retaining cap installed

IMG_4596_zps32a6620d.jpg

Picture of the end-cap installed....unfortunatly, some marks of the punch used to remove and install it. Need a c-clip metal piece to pound on in the future!

IMG_4597_zps4855cc95.jpg

Last edited:

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Added some more pics, hopefully it helps!

Leo87

Seaman Apprentice
Roy, great write up! Thank you.
Can you tell me where you got the other kit you mentioned below?

"I wasn't sure if the trim fluid was leaking out of the cylinder cap o-ring, or the trim hose o-ring, so I ordered the kit to replace them as well. You have to drill out the retainer ring to get to the o-ring."

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Roy, great write up! Thank you.
Can you tell me where you got the other kit you mentioned below?

"I wasn't sure if the trim fluid was leaking out of the cylinder cap o-ring, or the trim hose o-ring, so I ordered the kit to replace them as well. You have to drill out the retainer ring to get to the o-ring."

Look at the first post.