Motor Flushing

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor (inboard) has a flushing connection near the motor well (on the stbd side of the console) if I follow the line down I find a shut off valve (actually a "Y" valve) then the line goes to the engine water intake pump. It appears that the valve is shut when I am running (I think) and should be open to flush there by stopping sea water intake. What would be the correct way to flush? A. connect the hose turn on the water then start the motor and shut the valve? B. shut the valve connect the hose turn on the water and start the motor? C. ???? On my outboard I would shut off the motor connect to the flushing port and turn on the water. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
My motor (inboard) has a flushing connection near the motor well (on the stbd side of the console) if I follow the line down I find a shut off valve then the line goes to the engine water intake pump. It appears that the valve is shut when I am running (I think) and should be open to flush there by stopping sea water intake. What would be the correct way to flush? A. connect the hose turn on the water then start the motor and shut the valve? B. shut the valve connect the hose turn on the water and start the motor? C. ???? On my outboard I would shut off the motor connect to the flushing port and turn on the water. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I'm going to need a pic of the shut off valve and hose routing.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is actually a "Y" valve not really a shut off. In it's running position (straight up) the flushing port is closed and the intake pump draws sea water. If I push the handle aft it will close the sea water intake and open the flushing port. So the intake pump would draw water from the hose. I have an adapter that I would run Salt Away through on my out board. I am looking to do the same with this motor. Sorry for not being more clear.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It is actually a "Y" valve not really a shut off. In it's running position (straight up) the flushing port is closed and the intake pump draws sea water. If I push the handle aft it will close the sea water intake and open the flushing port. Sorry for not being more clear.

In that case, with the boat sitting on the trailer, shift the valve to where it will take water from the garden hose connection. Connect the hose, turn the water on and start the engine, shut the engine off before you turn the water off.

You don't want to run the engine without the water turned on, it will burn the impeller in the pump.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sorry, the boat sits in a slip

No problem, same thing just make sure to don't let the boat run without water. It can be running and the hose connected, Turn the water on, then shift the valve to flush the engine. Once dine turn the motor off, then turn water off and shift vale ready for next restart