1999 5.0 Volvo Penta Maintenance

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just recently purchased a 1999 25ft Regal with a 5.0 liter Volvo with duo prop outdrive. Of course no maintenance manuals came with the boat. What type of oils are required in the motor/outdrive? Additional maintenance required? The original motor has approx. 350 hours on it. The oils in the motor/outdrive are not milky.

Thanks in advance for your help!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Seloc manuals. They are very inaccurate and pretty much useless.

Check the stickies at the top of the "Volvo Penta I/O & Inboard Gas Engines & Outdrives" threads list for links to owner's manuals for your engine/drive combo. These contain basic knowledge subjects like maintenance schedules and operation instructions.

We can also point you to OEM service manuals but we need a little more information about the engine first. There were several versions of the 5.0 in circulation around 1999, and boat year does not necessarily equal engine year. The full model number or serial number would be helpful.

What Boat?

Cadet
Interesting comment RE Selocmarin manuals. I recently purchased one because I was unable to purchase a genuine Volvo Penta workshop/repair manual. I'll be sure to check details in light of comment above. Thanks for the heads-up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your number should look similar to this

5.0GLPBYC

The BY or other letters will indicate what model year it is.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Have a look at Seloc's web site, you might find a repair manual that will answer your questions.

www.selocmarine.com

Hi i am sure your well intentioned but Seloc is a bit of a wrong direction shall we say. We once had a forum mod who may have chastized you a bit and with good meaning... Selco is a no no...and that is a opinion...listen close it will save you agggreveation...

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I have genuine OEM manuals for my Volvo. Don't want to use the Seloc.

You can also go here and view the OEM manuals online.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

And lets not forget ADULTS ONLY at the top of the forum..Between those three link nothing is impossible.....well pretty close anyway's
Closed, Sticky: ------------ADULTs ONLY -------------------------No Exceptions-----
Started by Don S, December 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM
2 responses
0 likes
by Don S
February 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Closed, Sticky: MUST HAVE Technical Information for DIYers.
Started by Don S, August 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
1 response
0 likes
by Don S
March 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5.0 Volvo Penta GI PEFS
3869057otse are the numbers/letters that came off the motor

Last edited:

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you everyone for your assistance. I was able to secure a manual for the motor. It designates 15w50 or 20w50. A friend of mine mentioned using Rotella oil as the there is more Zinc? in the oil and it will not breakdown like automobile oils will. I used Rotella in my 350 Chevy boat motors but didn't know if the tolerences of the VP couldn't handle it? Your opinions?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
That oil is fine, most oil's today are by far better than what the engine was designed to use. The outdrive does require a special lubricant GL-5 its a cone clutch..The zinc question is realted to flat tappet cam's and you have a roller cam...Mobile one syn is truly great stuff and then there's filter's...so many opinion's and so little time. Have fun

https://www.google.com/search?q=zin...a=X&ei=IeLPVOyAFsexogTL1YLwBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA

Last edited:

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Tail Gunner...I figured the Rotella would be fine...but you never know....I saw the outdrive needs the synthetic 75/90 GL5 gear lube...I am sure that will be pricey...lol

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just wanted to add on that many people experience problems with GL5 "LS" (Limited Slip) gear lube due to the drives using a cone clutch. Try to stay away from "LS" gear lubes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just wanted to add on that many people experience problems with GL5 "LS" (Limited Slip) gear lube due to the drives using a cone clutch. Try to stay away from "LS" gear lubes.
That's why I switched back to Volvo lube. Couldn't find Mobil 1 anymore that didn't have the LS designation.

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cant find 15w50 or 20w50 oil at the stores...they only go up to 15w40 or 20w40...will this rotella work or is it not acceptable? I found Lucas oil in the 75w90 range with no LS designation but mentioned in the fine print it can be used foe limited slip applications...will this work or mess up the cone clutch? Thanks in advance