posible water in oil

two feathers

Recruit
I have a 2000 larson boat with a volvo penta 4.3 i/o engine. i winterize it every year an keep it inside checked oil today and oil on stick was 2 inches high drained oil but no water came out first but it was off colored an sludgy took oil filter off it was full of same wondering if too much oil in engine could cause problem?

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. . .

Perhaps too much oil, but you should share more of the story. Did you check the oil level previously? When have you used the boat? Tell us about your winter and winterization? etc.

If the oil level is high, the crankshaft will whipped it up, but milky oil is generally the sign of water mixing in and turning things into the proverbial milkshake.

two feathers

Recruit
boat ran fine all last summer, beautiful day yesterday so i put water plugs back in an hoses and i happened to check oil an went from there. Going to do compression check this evening an go from there

two feathers

Recruit
Will let u know later on outcome got fingers crossed ps. I keep boat inside an have winterized myself last 14 years hope i havent lost my touch

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice
Another thing to check after the compression will be the intake manifold gaskets. These seem to fail on a regular basis on marine engines....-Rich