Volvo Penta 4.3 GLJ ? Power Trim Fluid Leak

garycol7

Cadet
Hi

I hope some of you will be kind enough to advise me regarding my above mentioned problem. When trimming up and pressure is on the system, hydraulic fluid is lost from a white circle on the filler tank as highlighted in attached pictures.

As you may gather I am inexperienced with mechanical repairs and don?t have a lot of tools. Please advise if this is an easy repair that could be / should be? Attempted by myself or am I required to be raped by the main Volvo penta dealer here in abu dhabi? Why is it that nobody seems to want to touch a Volvo penta for service or repair other than the main stealer? Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Hello and welcome. Your in the prop forum.
You'll do much better in the Volvo I/O forum farther down the main forum page.

alldodge

Staff member
Hi

I hope some of you will be kind enough to advise me regarding my above mentioned problem. When trimming up and pressure is on the system, hydraulic fluid is lost from a white circle on the filler tank as highlighted in attached pictures.

As you may gather I am inexperienced with mechanical repairs and don’t have a lot of tools. Please advise if this is an easy repair that could be / should be? Attempted by myself or am I required to be raped by the main Volvo penta dealer here in abu dhabi? Why is it that nobody seems to want to touch a Volvo penta for service or repair other than the main stealer? Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

:welcome: to iboats

I'm not a Volvo expert but will PM one or two on your behalf to come have a look. I will say the area where the photos are pointing it sure looks like those bolts are loose. Might just need to be tightened.

garycol7

Cadet
Thank you for replies. Yeah the bolts have indeed been loosened as, when the fluid has all escaped, unless im mistaken this is the only way in which the trim can raised manually.

Thalasso

Commander
Last edited:

garycol7

Cadet
Is this the area?
That plug is supposedly glued in from the manufacturing of drilling passage ways. I have read that you can remove the plug and tap it install a plug and your good to go. How-to: Volvo Penta SX-A/DPS Trim pump replacement.- 581044 - Page ...

forums.iboats.com/.../volvo-penta.../581044-how-to-volvo-penta-sx-a-d
[h=3]Volvo Penta Trim & Tilt Pump System Repair Kit 21945911 Second Design Cover[/h]
  • $439.94

Thank you. I will attempt to seal it using araldite or similar in the first instance and update you all thereafter.

Thalasso

Commander
Araldite from what i have read will stay soft and spongy. Tap it and put a threaded plug in.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's a faulty design and Volvo knows it, hence the redesigned pump cover that Thalasso linked up-thread. If you can't get that hole sealed, it's best to bite the bullet and replace the cover with the new design. It's a fairly straightforward install and will fix it for sure.