How far does a shift cable protrude past the transom shield on a DP-E drive?

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have replaced my Volvo 280 drives with DP-E drives. I need to replace the shift cables, since the DP-E feeds the shift cable from the opposite side of the transom shield. Can someone tell me how far the shift cable protrudes outside the transom shield, so that I can accurately measure the cables? I don't have the engines or drives installed and want to get the shift cables run before the engine installation.

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
There should be a part number stamped on your old cable . The last two numbers on the part number will give you the length.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Did you also install DP-E transom shields?

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you also install DP-E transom shields?

Yes, the shields were replaced to accommodate the new drives.

On the new shields, the cable is fed from the port side; the old shields were fed from the starboard side. The cables need to be longer than the originals. Since I don't have the drives attached, I'm at a loss as to how much the cable protrudes from the shield into the shift mechanism of the drive, when the drive is in its raised position.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I'd measure mine for you but the boat is in another state.
Installing a new cable with everything in place is an easy thing usually. Is yours an ordeal for some reason?

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd measure mine for you but the boat is in another state.
Installing a new cable with everything in place is an easy thing usually. Is yours an ordeal for some reason?

No, not at all. I'm trying to do the bulk of the work myself, before I give it to the guy who's installing the engines. It is a complete repower from gas to diesel, so nothing that was originally there remains. I'm sure a wander through the boat yard looking at other boats will give me what I need.