Would you change these U joints?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last week I pulled the outdrive for the first time in its 14 year life. All looks good except for zero grease on the drive shaft splines. Normally I would change U joints at this age but these look pretty new. While apart, I am also replacing the bellows which also looks new :) It's a lake boat with under 200 hours.

Also, if the U joints look that good can I assume the gimbal bearing is also good? It is one of the old greaseable ones. thanks

016b0ffba01b06660e3da89632265ae5796a6b773c.jpg

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If there is no play in them, then 200 hrs is not much, mine have done over 500 hrs and are still good, however they are greased every season as is the Gimbal bearing.
Before greasing the gimbal rotate it with your fingers and feel for any harshness or play, if there is none then grease it and you are good to go.

The rubber of the Bellows can harden with age and split, if that happens then the damage it will cause will be very expensive. Replace it, and don't ask how I know, my bellows had not been assembled correctly from new!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You got very lucky!!! 14 years!!
Never "Assume"
Reach in and turn the bearing.
If it's smooth? Just grease and go.
ANY?????? rough or bumpy spots??? Change.

Those u-joints? Do they have a place for a zert?
If not replace with a set that has them.

The drive should be pulled EVERY YEAR!!!

Now that your changing the bellows it's important that it's checked every year.

alldodge

Staff member
As others mentioned, feel and if nothing grease and let it run. My 20 year old Rinker has never had the boots, bearings or U-joints replaced. Now I do check them often.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the responses. The gimbal bearing feels great. The U joints are the factory ones that don't have the grease fittings. My only hesitation to just changing them, is potential yoke damage. I bent an ear on a very rusty alpha 1 drive shaft during my last u joint replacement. That was a $100 part. Bet the Volvo version is $250 :).

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you don't change them you'll wonder if you should have. A machine shop would make quick work out of the job without fear of damage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I bent an ear on a very rusty alpha 1 drive shaft during my last u joint replacement.
I did the same on a Volvo yoke. yes they are very expensive and I have mine done for me now.

If your u-joints aren't making noise in sharp turns and you have never had water in your bellows, I would not replace them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They sell the right tool for changing the u-joints.
I haven't bent a yoke since I bought it.
It wasn't cheap(Bluepoint) but well worth it.
Oh yea a hot wrench(acetylene torch) is a very helpful tool too.