SX Bellows replacement.

kmongar

Seaman
Hi, I am getting ready to buy parts to replace the bellows on a 1995 OMC/VP SX drive. The drive says it is a Model 3868156 with 1.66 but does not list the "type". The engine model # is 502APHUE.
I saw the thread on how to replace the bellows in the technical section. My questions are:
1. any suggestions on where to get the OEM boots?
2. Will I need any seal or gasket kits to do this?
3. Is there any other maintenance that I should do while I am in there. (i.e., other than engine alignment and greasing u-joints)

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Find any OMC dealer.
Johnson/ Evinrude
3854127BELLOWS, U-joint

$50-60 Depending on where you buy.
OEM is more expensive but the best bet.
The Volvo part is about $70
Just let the dealer know you don't want aftermarket.
The alignment shouldn't be a problem unless someone's messed with it.
I don't think there is a gasket for mounting the drive.
Just a special shaped o-ring around the water inlet hose, that can be used again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Always check the alignment when removing your drive.

Always replace that oblong O-Ring when replacing the drive unless you want your water pump to suck air(You don't want that to happen). Older OMCs could get away with not replacing it but not the Volvo models because the pump is on the engine side of it.

Older service manuals specify a gasket sealer where the u-joint bellows mounts to the transom housing. Newer ones don't specify this and I don't use any on mine. You should be able to find an OEM bellows on e-bay.

here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-...5e1623&vxp=mtr

When you search, be wary if it says "replaces". That is a sign of aftermarket.

When was the last time you replaced the drive oil? That should be replaced annually. Always replace all the o-rings on the 3 plugs that you take out when you replace the lube.

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When was the last time you replaced the drive oil? That should be replaced annually. Always replace all the o-rings on the 3 plugs that you take out when you replace the lube.

Everything Bruce says, but I especially wanted to point this out. I didn't do this in the past, and always had a tiny bit of water in the drive oil. First thought normally is something awful. But I changed these last year, and now no leaking. As cheap as they are, order several at a time and keep them handy.

You don't need any seals for the bellows specifically, but with the drive off it's a good time to replace the water inlet o-ring.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Two weeks ago I installed the u-joint bellows on my SX-M drive. I ordered the OEM Volvo part. They sent a new style bellows with the center made of a vinyl or a type of polyethylene plastic, and the ends were rubber. They are a bit harder to install, but claim to last longer. They also do not use a spring inside to hold their shape. I cheated a little by heating them up by my wood stove blower, it helped. I did not remove the hood, or bonnet. I removed the exhaust bellows and did remove the nylon nut, and pulled out the water hose, that gave a lot of room. I used a bungee cord to hold the bonnet up. The hardest part for me was putting those ground clips back in the right place. I don't like the new style bellows and would have preferred the solid rubber. Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I did not remove the hood, or bonnet.
Removing the exhaust bellows is probably 5 times harder than removing the pivot housing. There are only 2 bolts to remove and the trim sensor! Also. how do you tighten the hose clamp in the position that is stated in the service manual if you don't remove the pivot housing?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not sure if this is where SX and SX-A drives differ, but the SX-A drive is designed to allow tightening of hose clamps with the pivot housing still on. In the correct positions, there are little "windows" in the shape of the housing that allow room for a socket or screwdriver shaft.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce: My sx drive just had one of those exhaust hoses that doesn't fasten to the drive, so one clamp and it was off. I used a flexible extension to get the clamp to the correct position. I think I read a post by Don S. and that's how I have done them. I will get the right tool one day and try to remove the housing like you suggest. Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce: My sx drive just had one of those exhaust hoses that doesn't fasten to the drive, so one clamp and it was off. I used a flexible extension to get the clamp to the correct position. I think I read a post by Don S. and that's how I have done them. I will get the right tool one day and try to remove the housing like you suggest. Dave-R
If you have a tube, that isn't actually offered by Volvo so that it why it was easy. 99.9% of people that have Volvos don't have that type. The tool is just a 1/2" hex.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced my bellows last spring on a new to me SX drive and couldn't get the pivot housing bolts to budge no matter what I did so I went ahead and did the job without removing it. It takes some maneuvering and finagling but got the hose clamps tightened in the correct positions per the manual.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Need one of these and a long breaker bar.
BWY_HW-9611-2.jpg

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah tried that - although maybe my breaker bar wasn't long enough??? I think you had recommended that when I was in the process ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah tried that - although maybe my breaker bar wasn't long enough??? I think you had recommended that when I was in the process ;)
Or you just need to eat your Wheaties! The best thing to do is to break them free when the drive is still on. That way the pivot housing doesn't move all over the place.