I surrender

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One other thing you can check, make sure the flapper valves have not fallen down and are plugging off the exhaust. In the past when I run into a no code situations like this I check maniacal.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
One other thing you can check, make sure the flapper valves have not fallen down and are plugging off the exhaust. In the past when I run into a no code situations like this I check maniacal.

Good idea. I talked to a guy last month who switched props 4 times before he figured out there was a flapper in the outdrive. He could not get over 4000 rpm.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We had one with similar issues. Finally found the dist gear was almost completly chewed up. Never saw an issue like that before or since then. But a new dizzy cured the problem. I have to say,we boroscoped the cam gear while the dizzy was out,and it looked fine,the shaft on the distributer was not loose either.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...till-not-right

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,2823,parttype,6224 right injectors

Your problem is just not obvious to you...there are plenty here that can help..Could you plz post your knew injector model number..Ive been through this and shook my head in disbelief at what I was being recommended as a replacement. And how did you time this thing using a shunt or a tool.

BaseTimingEF.JPG

Courtsey of Bruce 58

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

No flapper's in his tube's
20762_3.png

Last edited:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
We had one with similar issues. Finally found the dist gear was almost completly chewed up. Never saw an issue like that before or since then. But a new dizzy cured the problem. I have to say,we boroscoped the cam gear while the dizzy was out,and it looked fine,the shaft on the distributer was not loose either.

The OP wrote in his first post that he had replaced the distributor.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Not sure where you see he has a PEFS. Ne never stated that.

You are quite correct...5.0GiPBYCCE...Flapper's

12205_3.png

And GIPWTR...No flapper's

20762_3.png

With that said if he has replaced his injector's there is a high probability he has 350 injectors in there, original injector size is a 454 inj @ 90lbs...mefi only runs 30lbs with tbi with very same 454 injectors. There are very few sources left for those injector's and to say the least for a cross reference.

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not trying to start an argument, but I have just removed the flappers from my 1999, 5.0 Gi PWTR. which I have owned from new.:facepalm::)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not trying to start an argument, but I have just removed the flappers from my 1999, 5.0 Gi PWTR. which I have owned from new.
No problem with doing that since Volvo says it is fine to remove them.

If it is not a 454 and someone has installed a 454 tbi unit it will never run right till replaced with a 350 unit. 305 has smaller injectors but they can be replaced. Look out for twisted together wire with electrical tape. Bad noisy connections will cause mysterious and just off the wall problems with all ecu's. Even if it is in lighting heaven help you if it is in the alternator. one reason they went to a much better electrical system in cars. Make sure you dont have old style alternator that can contribute.

Get a noise filter from a stereo shop and put it in line to the power line of the ECU to catch the unknown. it can always be moved to your electronic distributor to keep it from blowing something.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If it is not a 454 and someone has installed a 454 tbi unit it will never run right till replaced with a 350 unit. 305 has smaller injectors but they can be replaced. Look out for twisted together wire with electrical tape. Bad noisy connections will cause mysterious and just off the wall problems with all ecu's. Even if it is in lighting heaven help you if it is in the alternator. one reason they went to a much better electrical system in cars. Make sure you dont have old style alternator that can contribute.

Get a noise filter from a stereo shop and put it in line to the power line of the ECU to catch the unknown. it can always be moved to your electronic distributor to keep it from blowing something.

Id suggest you take a closer look at the original equipment manual's

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took some time but.....

She is in the slip. Five months to the day. 1999 Albemarle 24cc With a Volvo Penta 5.0 GC (carburated was 5.0 GI injected). you know how that went. WOT 4560 RPMs 39.3 MPH. Cruse about 3600 RPMs 27 MPH about 12.5 GPH
about 2 MPG. Still not sure of the numbers need to do some tweaking. The hull is a lot different than my EdgeWater. I guess because of the dead rise she is very sensitive to movement. I also found that you need to just TOUCH the tab button for it to react. I guess this will be a learning curve.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just an update. Have put 65 hours on it since the change over. I could not be happier with the ride and performance. Getting about 2.2 mpg at 3600 rpm's running 28 mph. It seems the more I run it the better it runs. Starts right up warms quickly everything is working the way it should. Flo scan is calibrated. Drawing equally off both fuel tanks. In the process of my last modification. Which is removing my transom mounted Tri-Ducer and replacing it with a 20 degree tilted element through hull transducer. Life is good. Thanks to all who were so helpful here.
Barry