Volvo Penta Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick2752

Recruit
I have a Volvo penta 5.7gsi pefs that I just replaced with a long block and I am trying to set the timing. The procedure calls for me to start motor and warm up then unplug distributor wire and plug in a dummy plug that has a jumper installed and connects to the battery on the other side. It also states that if the motor dies you have to start over. There is a sticky on the procedure. Anyway.....everytime I unplug no matter what the rpm or timing the motor dies immediately. Anyone have any ideas?

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice
How old is your timing light? Newer units have a clamp that goes over the #1 spark plug wire.

rick2752

Recruit
I have a new timing light, that is not the issue. I am not getting that far. When I remove the plug the motor dies.

In order to set the ignition timing you will need a special tool p/n 885163 (Initial Timing Connector), timing light with inductive pickup..

Set Timing as follows:
1. Start and run the engine until it reaches proper operating temperature.
2. Connect timing light to #1 spark plug wire.
3. Remove the blind plug (1) and install timing connector p/n 885163 onto distributor. Attach the alligator clip lead to a B+ source.

attachment.php

NOTE:
The Alligator clip lead of the Initial Timing Connector must never be connected to a B+ source until after engine is started. This is necessary to avoid damage to the electronics of the ignition system.
When the B+ source is connected, the engine may reduce RPM. If engine stalls and must be restarted the lead to the B+ source must be disconnected.

4. Loosen the distributor retaining clamp and rotate distributor until the correct ignition
timing is obtained and tighten clamp to 20 ft./lbs..

Here is a portion of a Volvo service manual covering the EST distributors use on 3.0, 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 engines. Includes some typical timing specs. which will be handy for those that install an EST distributor in place of other type distributors.
http://www.4shared.com/file/25364193...Delco_EST.html

Here is some troubleshooting information on the EST.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Attached Files

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would suggest bumping up the idle a little when doing this. Should have no affect on the timing like a distributor with weights in it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have an EFI engine, that is not the procedure. You don't use the shunt plug at all. You have to go to the Data Link Connector and connect a couple pins together. I am assuming you had to unplug a connector to put the shunt in? On carbed models, there should be nothing already plugged in there.

For carbed engines, DonS always said to leave the engine running while attaching the plug. I thought he said some of the Volvo manuals were incorrect in the procedure.

Last edited:

rick2752

Recruit
I have an ef model, is that the same as efi? Motor serial number is 4012035671 5.7gsi pefs it is TBI

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a plug with wires already going into the right hand port of the distributor or is it just a blind plug like the picture you attached above?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a plug with wires already going into the right hand port of the distributor or is it just a blind plug like the picture you attached above?

"EF" is the equivalent of a model year. For example, mine is an "LK" and the model before yours is a "WT"

rick2752

Recruit
Worked like a charm Bruce. Thanks a ton. You can also buy an led light bulb at radio shack for a couple dollars and plug it into the far left pins in the picture and it will flash when you turn key on, Once then a pause then twice to indicate a code 12 which means you are in base timing mode. I really appreciate all your help.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an EST distributor that requires the procedure in post #3. After I set the base timing this way, what should I see with the timing light in normal running mode. Should I see the same 8? BTDC at 600 rpm? If so, why can't I just set the base timing this way?
IMAG1228.jpg

Fun Times

Staff member
I have an EST distributor that requires the procedure in post #3. After I set the base timing this way, what should I see with the timing light in normal running mode. Should I see the same 8? BTDC at 600 rpm? If so, why can't I just set the base timing this way?
In normal mode the timing is designed to fluctuate as much as 10 degrees in either plus or minus direction of initial timing at idle. Doing the procedures above stabilizes the timing so you can set/see it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I recogize that sticker for an engine that is way before EST distributors were installed. I take it an EST distributor was installed somewhat recently?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In normal mode the timing is designed to fluctuate as much as 10 degrees in either plus or minus direction of initial timing at idle. Doing the procedures above stabilizes the timing so you can set/see it.
Thanks Fun Times. That's exactly what I experienced. Base timing with shunt is steady at 8?. Normal idle with no shunt is off the top of the scale -- maybe 12 or 15? and jumps around a little. The base @ 8? is evidently only during cranking 'cause even at 400 rpm I never saw it down there?

And yes Bruce, I initially replaced the points with a Pertronix module and their coil. It crapped out on me, maybe because I inadvertently had the key on without the motor running for too long -- eventually it wouldn't start...I put the points back in, then the Pertronix coil heated up so I decided I'd bite the bullet and just go with a complete EST distributor/coil setup.

And listen when they say don't bump the starter with the B+ on the jumper connected. I toasted a module that way and my mpg went from ~3 to less than 2 probably because my base timing was really somewhere near zero instead of 8. The houseboat cruises at about 1600 r's running about 6 mph. It will be interesting to see if now with everything correct if she'll get up on step and go. The book shows this 40 year old girl pulling skiers but as yet we've only had her above 10 mph a couple times.

flybridge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.