1993 glastron ssv 175 fuel pump pswe

captmello

Captain
It sounds to me like its running out of gas. This could happen for a number of reasons. clogged fuel line, clogged filter, float in the carb not set correctly...Don't rev the motor up high unless you are under load, its hard on it. Its also running to cold, It should run around 180-190, most likely not causing your curent issues however.

Did you replace and/or check the float height when you had the carb off? Also, there should be an anti siphon check valve where the fuel line exits the fuel tank. This can sometimes get gunked up and slow the fuel flow. Running the boat using a temporary gas can could help eliminate the fuel suppy issues...

Others may have some trouble shooting idea as well.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
I think your correct about running out of gas under load. The float seems fine and the gas fill up the float chamber all the way. I have a fuel pressure Guage and a clear container to check fuel psi and fuel for water. I'm going to get into it again tomorrow. Hopefully I find the problem... I'll try/check everything you mentioned. Is there a volvo motor that shares the same thermostat that I can buy from autozone?

captmello

Captain
Here is a sierra part that may be available to be ordered by Autozone...I don't know what the automotive equivelent is, if there is one. Napa can get Sierra parts, or order it from Iboats.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=111066&gd_row=40&session_id=513677739

one thing I would do, is test the fuel volume by routing the fuel line from the carb into your clear container and see how much fuel it will pump. It should pump close to a pint (16oz) in around 15 sec. If your getting that much fuel at the carb, than the carb is still not right. The thing about pumping the throttle to get up to 5000rpm makes me think you still have carb issues. Also make sure the throttle is opening properly at WOT... I think your close.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
The first time I drained out gas the boat was on a hill and I don't think I got all of the gas out. I drained it again today and even took the gas float out to make sure I got it all. I probably pulled at least 2 gallons of water out of 15 gallons of gas. Some of the gas looked real dark and dirty. I'm feeling pretty confident that this was my problem. The last 1/2 gallon of water was pulled out through the gas gauge float hole because the full pump wouldn't pick it up.

I don't think there was a anti siphon valve someone maybe removed it. Do I need one with the electric fuel pump? Also noticed the fuel pump psi wasn't consistent and I believe this was because of the water not passing threw the fuel pump.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Thank captmello. I'll be taking boat out again tomorrow. I have I feeling this will fix my stalling issue. The gas stream seemed strong going into container psi problems when connected to carb only. I have a feeling I'll be rebuilding the carb again with a new kit. I'm definitely having carb issues still.

Last edited:

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Took boat out today. Unfortunately I didn't get much fishing in because I was to busy tearing up the lake. Boat runs great! Couldn't get to 5000rpm at WOT only to 4800 is that a big deal? Also when I hammer the throttle it bogs then picks up sometimes. I think the accelerator pump is still off. Besides that everything g seems great. Going to order thermostat and need to adjust the trim tab some. Probably ran at WOT for an hour or 2 with no problems. I was starting to think that buying this boat was a bad idea but after today I think it's the smartest this I've ever done lol.

captmello

Captain
Sounds good! 4800 rpm is right where you want to be. Now that you've got it running better, I would suggest you continue to go through the engine and get it dialed in. I would also encourage you to do some routine work on the outdrive as well. Once you've got everything freshened up, you can get many years of enjoyment with just routine mainainence and TLC.
BTW, where are you boating? Lakes are frozen solid around here for another few months.:grumpy:

Jamesnm80

Cadet
I'm down here I san antonio Texas and it was 75 dagrees outside and sunny all day. I got sun burned last weekend out there lol. We're are you Located?
I'm definitely going to follow your advise since you got me this far :joyous:. I really dont know too much about boats just carburetor at this point. Is there a good place to find out more about the type of maintenance that is required for my setup?

captmello

Captain
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/479879-adults-only-no-exceptions

This is a link to the adults only section sticky. Its at the top of the volvo forum. In it you can look at the winterizing/summerizing threads, even though you don't have winter, the mainenence is still important. Also within that link is the volvo info that has some of the volvo specific info that you can read up on.

If it were mine, I'd do a full tune up, new impeller, new ujoint bellows, inspect the ujoints and pds bearings. I would add a water seperating fuel filter as well. If you want help with any of these things just start a new thread in the volvo forum and we will be happy to help.

Oh, I'm in Minnesnowta...only frostbite here, no sunburn.:mad: