1993 glastron ssv 175 fuel pump pswe

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Hello! I just purchased this boat a couple weeks ago. The fuel pump went out on the previous owner so he replaced it with an electric fuel pump. it's a e8016 fual pump But he never tested it on the water. The motor can be difficult to start but revs up ok if you apply the gas slowly. It hesitates and stalls if your not careful. Under a load the boat almost stalls immediately and you really have to take your time applying the gas to get it moving and it will ride for about a 1/4 mile and completely stall and turn off. I'm almost positive it's a fuel issue but I'm not sure it's the carburetor because it seems to rev up in nutrual and can idle for long periods of time with no issues.

so he had a fuel filter inline from the gas tank to fuel pump. I took it out and inspected it and seemed to be clean. I went ahead and bypassed the filter and ran the boat without it and it seemed to work a little better. So I decided to look up the specs on the electric fuel pump and it shows to be 30 gph at 2.5 to 4 psi. I'm thinking that this is probably too weak for the carburetor and I am looking at one that does 4 to 7 psi instead. I can't find anything on the Web about this carburetor and what is required as far as psi. so I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The regular mechanical pump is a 4-7
The lower pressure pump should still supply enough fuel to operate the carb once it's running.
There is a anti-siphon valve at the tank.The low pressure pump probably can't draw past it.
Id also try cleaning/ rebuilding the carb.
If it has enough fuel to idle it should have enough fuel to accelerate.
Sounds like a combination of low pressure and a dirty/ clogged carb.
Not sure which carb you have but there may be a filter in there that's dirty or even backwards.
Put the original pump back in or make sure it's a marine electric pump and wired correctly.
Any others is like adding a bomb to the bilge.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Thanks Jerry! Is there a gph I should shoot for? The original fuel pump is discontinued.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I have had many people bring me the boat thinking fuel pump when the carb is in need of rebuilding. Start there. You may also check to see if you have water in your tank from ethanol breakdown. The symptoms are alike. I would rebuild carb and pump tank and start with fresh gas. I mix the old gas with new gas and burn it in my truck where I fill it every day. Now you have a fresh carb and fresh fuel. Water in the fuel will also destroy an electric fuel pump.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Runnin' it on a remote tank, with fresh gas in it, will tell ya whether the carb is Bad, or the fuel tank/ fuel is Bad,....

That fuel pump should properly feed that carb, No problem,....

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Great idea Bondo I Have done this in the past and it works well. I did that on my 36 ft Wellcraft because I did not have anywhere to store 300 gallon of fuel.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
carburetor picture
http://postimg.org/image/gzz2gluor/

I cleaned out the carb today and made sure all the path ways were good. There's a filter that was completely caked with some gunk that i was able to clean as well. Unfortunately after putting the carb back on and running the motor there was little to no improvement. There's 3 outlets coming from the gas/float chamber. It seems like there's a gas going to a main stem in the center of carb. There's two going to the top of the carb. I think one is for air pressure in gas/float chamber and the other (curved one) injects gas depending on the position of the throttle. The curved pipe is only injecting gas after the throttle is at 75% or greater. Sometimes it may take some pumping of the throttle to get it to inject gas at all. is this normal? Not sure if this is the problem or what the fix would be.

Just saw all of these comments right now. Thanks for all of the support! I'm going to feed the fuel pump from another gas tank tomorrow to be on the safe side. I got a quote to rebuild the carb for $300 today. I would be willing to try this myself but i am having a hard time finding a rebuild kit.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Update..
The carburetor is a 44pa1 solex
so after cleaning the carburetor with no luck I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit. I rebuilt the carburetor with the kit and instruction manual yesterday. I notices the accelerator pump spring was worn-out and there was no washer. So I went ahead and fixed this and it seems to be working a lot better. Still dies after it burns off the gas pumped through the accelerator. I was able to get it to rev high for a bit and saw a good amount of fuel pumping through the emulsion jet but something is still wrong because it's stalling at a high ram idle and won't idle normally at all. I confirmed the firing order is right and installed some new spark plugs.

I haven't been able to get it up to normal temperature because of the muffs not working and not having a tub. I went ahead and drained all 20 gallons of gas out today and plan on taking it to the lake tomorrow to get it up to temperature and hopefully it idles and doesn't stall while in gear. Any pointers or advise welcomed. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what would be next.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Post a few pics of the motor, drive and carb.
I'm a bit confused as to what your working on.
A solex carb I thought is usually used on a Volvo??

captmello

Captain
Post a few pics of the motor, drive and carb.
I'm a bit confused as to what your working on.
A solex carb I thought is usually used on a Volvo??

Its a volvo model 230. Those motors are good but have a few issues that can cause an owner trouble. one issue is that there is no choke, so you need to run the engine up to temp before trying to make adjustments. Also, they use a rubber timing belt that may be in need of replacement. I would do a compression test to make sure you have good compression. Iow compression can be caused by a bad timing belt and the test is a good indicator of the engines overall health.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
So after making the changes I took the boat out for a test run and 'm still having some issues. The boat accelerates and runs well under a load. The problem is I can't get boat to idle under 1800rpm and it surges up to about 2000rpm rpm and back down.I have the idle mixture and jet screws set to spec. If I try to adjust carb to bring it down the motor stalls. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of motor if it helps but im pretty sure it is a 230b penta. Cheers

captmello

Captain
What changes did you make? to me, It sounds like the Idle side of the carb is plugged.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
Only work I have done is the carb rebuild and putting 100% fresh gas in. I have already tour apart and cleaned the carb out twice. I just can't imagine it being clogged. I did notice that the accelerator pump only squirts if you apply throttle quickly, but I think that's a different problem from the idling.

captmello

Captain
What Rpm's are you achieving at open throttle? Will it get up to 5000 RPM? The reason I mentioned the Idle circuit is 2000 rpm is where the idle curcuit usually ends. I had an Idle issue on a motorcycle and had to go back and reclean the carb. Idled great then. Have you checked the timing?

Jamesnm80

Cadet
If I give it throttle it will Rev all the way up to 5k no problem and sounds great. I think your on to something be ouse when I adjust the idle mixture screw it doesn't seem to change the idle speed unless it's the last 1-2 turns to being completely closed. I assumed the idle speed screw governed the fuel coming out of the main emulsion jet (this is my first carburetor motor). I know this is a different carburetor completely but if it works anything like idle circuit in picture in this link...... i think you maybe solved my problem. I'm going to take carburetor off tomorrow and try cleaning it again. Haven't checked timing, this is my last ditch effort before paying someone to check it. Thanks for taking the time to help me out captmello

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/83118-carburetor-basics/

captmello

Captain
I meant what RPM under load, while on the water. Your Max RPM, at WOT (wide open throttle) is right around 5000, and is another good indication of how well the engine is performing. The carb should be soaked in carb cleaner to help loosen/remove varnish.

Jamesnm80

Cadet
The engine seems to be idling pretty well at around 900rpm after cleaning/soaking carb again. Also noticed that the throttle cable peice was adjusted too short at the carb and forcing the throttle to open beyond the the 2 turns at idle. So I took the throttle cable out out of the carb clip and set the carb to the factory spec. Then i adjusted the cable piece to allow throttle to return to the propper position while at idle. That was a improvement and stopped the surging. I haven't opened it up to WOT out on the water yet, but will be taking it out tomorrow and will let you know what I find out. Wish me luck seems like I'm getting close and thanks again. Cheers

Last edited:

Jamesnm80

Cadet
So this is what I have going on. At WOT it goes up to 3000 rpm but if I pump the throttle at WOT it will go up to 5000rpm. It's also stalling if I drive it at 2000rpm+ for longer then around 30-60 seconds and afterwards it's hard to start,won't idle at any rpm and stalls immediately. I have to Rev it at around 4-5k for a few seconds for it to idle/throttle normally again. Does this sound like the motor is flooding? On the bright side it will idle and when put into gear it will troll (never worked before). If I keep it under 2000k it will go all day but surges. The boat temp seems to stay around 150