Volvo 4.3 GL-A with a Volvo SX-M outdrive Grease u-Joint question

ivancunningham

Seaman Apprentice
I was getting ready to put my outdrive back on and was reading on Greasing the U-Joints, I am not seeing the points on the U-Joints, does this mean that the u-joints do not need greased just like my new Gimbal Bearings. If I need to Grease them, how would I go about doing it? just applying Grease to the U-Joint. also, is the Triple Grease from envenrude good for the Stern drive. I just wanted to make sure, I am doing it right, the tube doesn't say specific for stern drives that's why I was curious.

Thanks

ivancunningham

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

here is a photo of the 2 u-joints

Attachments

• photo212410.jpg
    photo212410.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212411.jpg
    photo212411.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Some u-joints don't have the zerks or the way to add them. Nothing else you can do at this point.

The way those u-joints look, it appears you may have had water intrusion at some point? If so, I would be changing them.

ivancunningham

Seaman Apprentice
The bellow was all broken up, I had to change the gimbal bearing and new bellows. I am thankful for your suggestions, I will look at getting 2 new ones, any other things that you can think of that I may want to look for? also, should I look at getting ones with or without zerks for the U-Joints or doesn't it really matter.

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While I love to be able to grease the joint with a zerk there's a critical issue. Even though the entire thing is cross-drilled, literally all of the grease goes to the cup with the least resistance to the fluid pressure.

There's no real good solution as there isn't enough room to have a zerk for each individual cup. That would be the hot ticket.

In a truck I have taken the cups off the strap retainers (on the axle pinion housing) and hand packed those cups carefully. But without an arbor or hydraulic press its hard to do properly....vises hammers and c-clamps all have been used on various days on this earth by various mechanics but have wide variability in the longevity of repairs due to problems associated with those methods. A proper press is best.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I always get grease out all my caps. Once one is full, it has the most resistance and then others get the grease.

Bondo

Staff member
While I love to be able to grease the joint with a zerk there's a critical issue. Even though the entire thing is cross-drilled, literally all of the grease goes to the cup with the least resistance to the fluid pressure.

There's no real good solution as there isn't
enough room to have a zerk for each individual cup. That would be the hot ticket.

In a truck I have taken the cups off the strap retainers (on the axle pinion housing) and hand packed those cups carefully. But without an arbor or hydraulic press its hard to do properly....vises hammers and c-clamps all have been used on various days on this earth by various mechanics but have wide variability in the longevity of repairs due to problems associated with those methods. A proper press is best.

Ayuh,.... I was taught years ago to whack the cap ends with a BFHammer to get the various bearin's their grease,...

Tap the end showin' grease, to drive it across to the other side, then pump some more grease,...

Fun Times

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I was taught years ago to whack the cap ends with a BFHammer to get the various bearin's their grease,...

Tap the end showin' grease, to drive it across to the other side, then pump some more grease,...
:cool: I've never heard that one before and always wondered. Thanks for sharing.:)

ivancunningham

Seaman Apprentice
I am having issues with the sierra spiders I got, I could not find the same ones I have in the picture so I decided to order the number that shows in the manual. The one I have in the photo doesn't have zeros, the one I just ordered does, plus the one in the picture takes snap ring on the outer part of the spider, as to the one I got has the inner locks, can someone help me on getting the right one.
Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, what was the part number in the manual and the number you ordered?

Sounds like you "may have" ordered a set of Rockwell U-joints and not a GKN U-joint. Also it seems that Volvo doesn't offer spiders for your SX model any longer as seen In the Volvo service bulletin below.

http://www.bing.com/cr?h=6j6DdLMUUN...3E93E25BD5262A7049E38EABC5B6362&p=SERP,5161.1

If the link works, see one of the 4 Bearing Carrier and U-joint, Rockwell or GKN ,
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7746020.aspx

Some other info that may help,
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...568899-rockwell-and-gkn-yokes-interchangeable

ivancunningham

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Volvo penta sx-m 1.79, I pulled the manual and it said to use part 3850812, I pulled that number up on ebay and got the sierra 18-2174, but like you said, the part that I show is a GKN OJ, at least that is what it shows on the spider, only thing is I cant find a GKN OJ spider, if anyone can Help, I would appreciate it
thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
plus the one in the picture takes snap ring on the outer part of the spider, as to the one I got has the inner locks,
Thanks to Don S, It looks like you're going to need sierra part number 18-6406 which was Volvo part number 3860232 as seen in this link. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...iversal-spyder

For some extra good pointers of how to install the U-joints, http://www.bing.com/search?q=3860232...8716215FF9AD5F

In the link above find Cross from a Volvo 3860232 U-joint - Boat Repair Forum.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Very much in agreement, it's very tight fit under those cap's and grease does not flow like oil..hence the heavy pressure I'am sure you have heard the phrase packing the bearing's...,,,,,,,Just needle bearing this time.

Last edited: