draining VP 5.7 of seawater

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How long should the bottom hose off of the water pump drain for? I pulled it off the pump and it probably trickled for 2 hours (boat is still in the water)! I finally got tired of waiting (and it making me feel like I had to pee) and put it back together.

We are supposed to get close to freezing this weekend so I thought I'd drain it out as a precaution (has bilge heater). I hit the 4 brass drain plugs (the hole on the engine, starboard side was plugged up and had to be poked out) and they drained and stopped. I was surprised to notice that one of the plugs (engine, port side) has a hole in the middel and didn't have to be removed, only loosed. The water came right out from the middle of the plug. I wish they were all like that!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant pull it off when you are in the water. you are below the water line of the boat, so the line will re-fill

Thalasso

Commander
Your lucky it hasn't sunk by now. It isn't going to freeze yet. The temps would have to be below freezing for quite a long time before that happens in the water.
Put a light in the bilge if that makes you feel better.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are in salt water, the freezing temp is a little bit lower too.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm not confident I have an answer yet. Scott has come close in seeming to suggest that it'll continue to dribble like that until the river runs dry since it's in, and will stay in the water. So then winterizing it won't do much since seawater will continue to push in. I'm confused. First time 'staying in the water' winterization.

Not sure where Thel was going with the sinking comment. The passive-aggresive in me says that's just drama.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not sure where Thel was going with the sinking comment. The passive-aggresive in me says that's just drama.
The hose is below the water line. All 3 of us are telling you the same thing!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the hose below the water line, taking the hose off is a good way to sink the boat.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If your boat is still floating! Plug the hose from the transom and drain the water from the block. Or lift it above the waterline, which is what I do when changing impellers whilst afloat.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so in my winterization process, if I fill the block with antifreeze, it would seem to me that the antifreeze would slowly dilute as the season drags on. right?

I stated I put it back together in my first statement. Comments regarding sinking my boat are unnecessary. Add poor punctuation on top of that and oh my....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Volvo`s are usually the crankshaft mounted pump so taking the lower hose off to drain the pump and upper hose to the therm is impossible when in the water.
All you can do is drain the block and the exaust manifolds and risers. I doubt the water will rise above the pump into the engine thru the therm housing.
But why rist a sinking, put it on land .If you do get a hard freeze and the lower hose splits, you go under.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks BT. "impossible" isn't correct since I just did it. Also, this boat is staying in the water over the winter.

I'll follow your suggestion since it lines up with what I've heard is Volvo's recommendation. Drain the block and water pump cover. I'll rinse it with anti-freeze but not leave it in since it could cause seawater to enter the block.