What is this part called? What does the red light mean?

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand this shows the tilt status. Is the red light good or bad? It kind of flickers when I try to start the engine....

Attachments

• photo211641.jpg
    photo211641.jpg
    692 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, it's a trim gauge. I had this one in my boat, when I was running the 290 drive, but had to change it when switching to SX. The reason for the red diode to flicker during starting, is probably a bad connection. The gauge has nothing to do with the engine. When you lift the drive so much that the red diode comes on, you are out of the normal trim range and should only go idle speed. When it starts to flash, the outdrive is all the way up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its called the worlds most expensive trim gauge. Red LEDs light when you are outside the normal trim range.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
hmm

the light is on but the unit appears to be lowered all the way. will take a closer look.

should the green LED's show me the current position? they are all off in the picture.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your down too far, that is also an issue. you want to be about +7 to -7 degrees. when was the last time your sensor was calibrated? (instructions are in the outdrive manual you can download from volvo penta)

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
no clue when the sensor was calibrated.

also found a wire from the outdrive that goes to the engine ground ... it was crisp and brittle.
could that be the reason I'm getting the red LED?

The manual is on the boat will try to find a PDF version for home use.