Part number for a coil on a 1991 DP570

Fun Times

Staff member
No wonder you are asking for help.:faint2:

Your old coil part number was 857409 and it had superceded to 855706 but the problem is neither one is available anymore and there is no aftermarket parts numbers available to help match something up.:facepalm:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Elect...view_id.767393

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Marin...view_id.765046

Two choices that I see at the moment, one is remove the old distributor/ignition system and install a Delco Voyager EST and be done with that old distributor like most have done, http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-...tor-p-119.html

Or find a internal resistor ignition coil and give it a try. http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Ig...view_id.269716

Test the ignition system and coil starting on page 105, http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq211_572.html#/106

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe its a non-resistor 12 volt coil

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went up to my boat today to see what the coil is. Got it out and what does it say - "Mercruiser 392-805570-1". This coil has been on it 15 years as I have not changed it since I've owned the boat. Can someone tell me what will cross reference to this coil?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your boat, someone's changed the coil to a Mercruiser coil.
That coil is available all over.
351210956926 e-bay

Why do you think it's bad?

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat starts and runs fine...for a few minutes. The longer it runs and the more it misfires, until it is constant after about 30-40 minutes. If you turn it off for a while (an hour or more) it will repeat the same pattern. Does anyone think it could be something else? I'm all ears.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
When it's starting to fail, does it (coil) get too hot to touch? If so then it's bad.
Could also be, the fuel vent line is clogged. Bugs get in and make nests.
The pickup in the tank is clogged.
The filter is dirty or full of water.
Ethanol?? It's delaminating older hoses and can melt the inside of the hose.
Check for soft, mushy or slimy hoses.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
When it's starting to fail, does it (coil) get too hot to touch? If so then it's bad.
Could also be, the fuel vent line is clogged. Bugs get in and make nests.
The pickup in the tank is clogged.
The filter is dirty or full of water.
Ethanol?? It's delaminating older hoses and can melt the inside of the hose.
Check for soft, mushy or slimy hoses.

I have checked most of the things you mentioned - that is why I have headed toward the coil. Specifically,

Did not check the vent line. Where is it and how to check?
Tank pickup is good as I drained all the gas without issue.
Fuel filter replaced AND fuel pump replaced
I drained (above) to check fuel - it is (and was) perfect Also I added 30 gallons of fuel without ethanol
Replaced all hoses after draining fuel

So it seems we are thinking similarly - I just don't know about the vent.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
On the fuel tank is a 5/8 or 3/4in hose that usually goes to a fitting on the rear or side of the boat.
The fitting usually has some kind of filter or mesh or screen to keep bugs out.
They can rot away or just disappear?
Unhook the hose at the tank,be careful not to damage the fitting, blow through the hose and see if it's clear.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The boat starts and runs fine...for a few minutes. The longer it runs and the more it misfires, until it is constant after about 30-40 minutes. If you turn it off for a while (an hour or more) it will repeat the same pattern. Does anyone think it could be something else? I'm all ears.

Another place to check is the dizzy. pull the distributor cap, look inside. if you see ANY corrosion, replace the cap. If after about 10 hours of run time it starts acting up, look at the distributor itself.

My 271C would act the same way, run great for a while, then it would start mis-firing and poping. it would get exponentially worse until the motor would barely run. cleaning the cap got it to run good for a short period of time, then it would run like crap again (which really sucked when your 20 miles from the ramp) the VP specific prestolite distributor bushings were a bit sloppy and the caps kept fouling. I thought it was moist air, however I sealed up the dizzy with RTV in an attempt to prevent corrosion. since rebuilding the distributor was about 4 times the cost of a brand new mallory, I replaced the dizzy and my mis-fire issue are all behind me.